Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor quality control on newspaper websites

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Poor quality control on newspaper websites

looking at the indo website's front page now, there is at least 2 spelling errors, the gardai are marching in the new york saint partick's day parade and christy dignam is the lead singer of alsan

these typos and other similar errors seem to be increasing in prevalence on not only the indo but in the Irish times website as well. Anyone inclined to look on any given day will be sure to find a few

one would feel that this is another symptom of the race to the bottom in print journalism due to declining revenues etc. they can't even afford to retain a reliable proof reader, for the websites at least

thoughts?

as a sideline, this would apply to tv(RTE) as well. anyone who saw the RTE sportsperson of the year award will remember the cut to an ad break just as Katie Taylor was about to start her acceptance speech. I heard on the grapevine that it was because an inexperienced apprentice had been left, on their own, in charge of that function on the night.

across the board, the basics are slipping one would feel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rapparree View Post
    looking at the indo website's front page now, there is at least 2 spelling errors, the gardai are marching in the new york saint partick's day parade and christy dignam is the lead singer of alsan

these typos and other similar errors seem to be increasing in prevalence on not only the indo but in the Irish times website as well. Anyone inclined to look on any given day will be sure to find a few

one would feel that this is another symptom of the race to the bottom in print journalism due to declining revenues etc. they can't even afford to retain a reliable proof reader, for the websites at least

thoughts?

as a sideline, this would apply to tv(RTE) as well. anyone who saw the RTE sportsperson of the year award will remember the cut to an ad break just as Katie Taylor was about to start her acceptance speech. I heard on the grapevine that it was because an inexperienced apprentice had been left, on their own, in charge of that function on the night.

across the board, the basics are slipping one would feel.
    The Sindo doesn't fact check its articles at all. Spell check should come second to that IMHO.
    They are a disgrace to journalism and newspapers and print whatever opinion they wake up with minus even a quick google search to confirm the tenor of their position.
    If I produced work to the standard the Sindo journalists, columnists and editors do I wouldn't survive a day in my job.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rapparree View Post
    I cannot believe that any newspaper website would allow such poor punctuation and lack of capitalisation of nouns in their online articles.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was a humdinger of a typo on the Guardian website this morning, something like 'China to cut down on red rape'! It's gone now though, the spoilsports...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are their spelling errors as blatant as your punctuation errors?
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The RTE site has had some howlers of late including a caption to a photo which was on the lines of " X should of known better".

For me, the worst culprit is the Daily Mail. Practically every article there features major errors.

Perhaps that's the cost of having a media which is constantly being updated in real time.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Was it Muphry who threw stones in his glasshouse?

That said, I think that with the immediacy of news these days, journos and bloggers are in such a hurry to get articles on their sites, that they are slapped together sans a proper edit. The mentality being, "Sure we can always amend/fix it later."

I'm also of the opinion that there are very few journalists left in the business. It seems that most of these writers just re-hash, or even copy and paste press releases, without exploring the story. As Prester Jim pointed out above, in the Google age, where research tools are exponentially more accessible, it is difficult to understand the sheer laziness...or is it the contempt that they have for their readers?
    History will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Says the OP, who won't use capitals.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    Are their spelling errors as blatant as your punctuation errors?
    more so

in addition i am not a professional journalist and i am not paid for posting on this site and I am not professionally obligated to ensure 100% accuracy through proof reading.

my deliberate carelessness in posting has nothing to do with the op and no comparison is valid.
    Last edited by rapparree; 17th March 2013 at 07:11 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin M View Post
    Says the OP, who won't use capitals.
    says the op who isnt a paid journalist who is supposed to ensure quality control in their output.

as i said before, my carelessness in posting has nothing to do with it

why do you post on this thread if you have no point to make apart from irrelevant smart arse commenting

are you one of the shoddy journalists?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast