Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 reasons to love ireland

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 50 reasons to love ireland

50 reasons to love Ireland - Breaking News | Irish & International Headlines | The Irish Times - Sat, Mar 16, 2013

Didn't see this posted anywhere else; the reasons why IT writers are proud of ireland (our, style, our bakeries, our president for the oppressed). This list is laughable for so many reasons. For example, our embracing of feminism is cited as a reason to love ireland yet the writer doesn'tt even mention any irish feminist voices. Eileen battersby mentions 2 reasons; what she terms 'the new honesty' where we are not afraid to address issues and secondly, our love of horses, as displayed since the horsemeat scandal (?). She doesn't seem to appreciate that the new honesty she is so fond of hasn't reached the food industry as yet!

Anyone got any better reasons to love Ireland?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Our bakeries? Irish produced bread, cakes, and pastries are certainly the worst europe, baking is something we definitely don't do well.

Politics.ie Member the_Observer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by langrishe View Post
    50 reasons to love Ireland - Breaking News | Irish & International Headlines | The Irish Times - Sat, Mar 16, 2013

Didn't see this posted anywhere else; the reasons why IT writers are proud of ireland (our, style, our bakeries, our president for the oppressed). This list is laughable for so many reasons. For example, our embracing of feminism is cited as a reason to love ireland yet the writer doesn'tt even mention any irish feminist voices. Eileen battersby mentions 2 reasons; what she terms 'the new honesty' where we are not afraid to address issues and secondly, our love of horses, as displayed since the horsemeat scandal (?). She doesn't seem to appreciate that the new honesty she is so fond of hasn't reached the food industry as yet!

I read the first couple and couldn't read any more.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with Fintan O'Toole, concerning the Ballyhea group and their dignified protest. They are to be admired.

Many of the other entries are pure drivel.

I expect to see many of them in the Phoenix, under the "Hot Air Brigade" line up of Irish media nonsense, in the next edition.
    Last edited by Analyzer; 16th March 2013 at 08:43 PM.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by langrishe View Post

a better thread would be 50 reasons to hate Ireland. I hate Ireland so much i couldnt be ar.sed startin it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apparently we were thrilled when the queen tried a bit of Irish.

That's just needy you geebag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Crumpets I would love Ireland for its crumpets but I can't find a shop that sells them here.
    Its Up to ME

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I used to love it, I used to love it once, a long, long time ago, now it's gone, all my lovin' is gone.
    Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah come on ffs.. get in the mood!

Ireland is a lovely place to go to get away from it all... you know.. all that humanity.

It's a misanthrope's Eden!

Very fertile land though. And lots of sea. We're extremely lucky to have both.

That said, it's all a little bit tainted by the knowledge that Ireland is divided... by borders and "peace lines" and murals acting as warning signs. It's a blemish on the place and on us (both communities).

The Irish Countryside.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast