Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Noam Chomsky speaks at UCC, 4th of April.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Noam Chomsky speaks at UCC, 4th of April.

https://www.facebook.com/events/4665...45357/?fref=ts

I believe that link can be viewed by the public, if not, here's a copy-paste of the information:

Noam Chomsky is an eminent linguist and a radical political philosopher of international reputation.

Born in Philadelphia on December 7, 1928, he is an intellectual prodigy who received a PhD in linguistics from the University of Pennsylvania. Since 1955 he has been a professor at MIT and has produced groundbreaking, controversial theories on human linguistic capacity. Chomsky is widely published, both on topics in his field and on issues of dissent and U.S. foreign policy.

Mr Chomsky has now worked in the Department of Linguistics & Philosophy at MIT for over half a century. For his academic pursuits, he has received a multitude of honorary degrees from universities as far flung as the University of Calcutta to the University of Chicago.

Chomsky’s ideas have never been regulated to language alone. His awards for peace and public intellect are just as impressive. In 1967,The New York Review of Books published his essay, "The Responsibility of Intellectuals." In light of the Vietnam War, which Chomsky adamantly opposed, he addressed what he saw as a disgracefully resigned intellectual community, a community of which he was an embarrassed member, with the hope of igniting his peers into deeper thought and action. Weaving between the world of academia and popular culture, Chomsky has gained a reputation for both his linguistic discoveries and his radical ideas.

As a professor, he introduced transformational grammar to the field. His theory asserts that languages are innate and that the differences we see are only due to parameters developed over time in our brains, helping to explain why children are able to learn different languages more easily than adults. One of his most famous contributions to linguistics is what his contemporaries have called the Chomsky Hierarchy, a division of grammar into groups, moving up or down in their expressive abilities. These ideas have had huge ramifications for modern psychology, both raising and answering questions about human nature and how we process information.

Noam Chomsky will address UCC on Thursday April 4th 2013 in Devere Hall. This event is open both to students and to members of the public. Tickets are €8 and will be on sale this week on UCC campus and in the Visitors’ Centre in the Main Quadrangle.

Details will be finalised over the weekend so check this page for updates.

For more information contact: events@uccphilosoph.com.
    "The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise." James Larkin.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That would be an event worth attending and at 8 euro that is a cheap price indeed to hear a leading global commentator and a major contributor to knowledge.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Extremely intelligent man, I used to read everything he wrote on politics. But has lost it in recent years - succumbing to a relativist 'my enemy's enemy' approach to world politics, and very intolerant of anyone who dares challenge it.

Ramps

Oh, brill. Can't wait for his section on "economics".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

8 euro will get you in. Aternatively you could log onto any one of the US based 'Love the Corporation' forums to find the latest invective to sling.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Ramps

Or I could just knock back a bottle of vodka, bang my head against a wall, spin in a circle for 40 seconds, and see what unintelligible garbage spews out of my mouth....t'would save me the 8 euro.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is no dictator Chomsky will not defend or support as long as they are anti-American.

If he were listened to the Taliban would still rule Afghanistan and Saddam Hussein and Gaddaffi would still be alive.

His anarcho syndicalism philosophy is complete b*llsh*t.

He is a crashing bore too.
    Last edited by Hitch 22; 16th March 2013 at 05:14 PM.

Ramps

And he's boring; oh so very boring.

It's so funny watching all the silly little SU types hanging on his every word as he mumbles along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Or I could just knock back a bottle of vodka, bang my head against a wall, spin in a circle for 40 seconds, and see what unintelligible garbage spews out of my mouth....t'would save me the 8 euro.
    For your country you could do no more If you don't intend to attend or have no interest why the despair and obvious gnashing of teeth?

Ramps

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    If you don't intend to attend or have no interest why the despair and obvious gnashing of teeth?
    Just letting off some steam. Carry on....

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast