Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: US Republicans

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default US Republicans

I have been reading 'The Coldest Winter' (David alberstam p.2007), about the Korean War.

If you think the dilema of the Reps' in the recent election was a new thing it's an eye opener. On pages 173-4 it covers the dynamics of the 1948 Presidential Election.

I won't repeat loads of text, but the final sentence on the subject could be about Romney & his backers in 2012. "To (the Republican grassroots) the internationalists were fake Republicans. Eastern snobs, who had just enough skill to steal the nomination but never enough to win an election". It all but calls them the Tea Party & RINOs.

Well worth a read if, like me, you thought that the Reps' current double-bind was a recent development.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    I have been reading 'The Coldest Winter' (David alberstam p.2007), about the Korean War.

If you think the dilema of the Reps' in the recent election was a new thing it's an eye opener. On pages 173-4 it covers the dynamics of the 1948 Presidential Election.

I won't repeat loads of text, but the final sentence on the subject could be about Romney & his backers in 2012. "To (the Republican grassroots) the internationalists were fake Republicans. Eastern snobs, who had just enough skill to steal the nomination but never enough to win an election". It all but calls them the Tea Party & RINOs.

Well worth a read if, like me, you thought that the Reps' current double-bind was a recent development.
    You make a great point. I recently watched the JFK V Nixon debates and it is amazing to see how little the talking points change.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor