Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Should the Defence Forces step in?

  1. #1

    Default Should the Defence Forces step in?

    With the state of the country so dire that even the ambulance drivers are undertaking a work to rule action, and the gardai becoming increasingly dissatisfied with their payment, a greek-style breakdown of law, order and society is a distinct possiblity and it can be laid almost solely at the foot of gutless politicians from every major political party in the state.

    Given that most (sane) people don't want a Greek style situation developing here, and the aforementioned gutless politicians are unwilling and unable to clear up their own mess and are mostly just riding it out on huge paycheques while waiting for their massive pensions - is it time for the Defence Forces to consider stepping in and calling a halt on this farce for the good of the country?

    The first loyalty of the Defence Forces is to us, the people - not the politicians, and not the Government. Ordinary people are on their knees, state services are being crippled, and we have lost our autonomy as a nation - surely if there was ever a time for the defenders of Ireland to step in and remove the corrupt cabal "leading" us, it is now?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Coup coup ca choo.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cnocpm View Post
    Coup coup ca choo.
    Call it what you want - something has to give because the ordinary people can only take so much pain. Society is being ripped apart

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Irishman View Post
    Call it what you want - something has to give because the ordinary people can only take so much pain. Society is being ripped apart
    No,calling it what it is.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,590
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Irishman View Post
    Call it what you want - something has to give because the ordinary people can only take so much pain. Society is being ripped apart
    Friday night hyperbole....If we're relying on the Defence Forces to 'save us' well then we're in worse trouble than I thought...

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    With only 8,500 regulars and 13,000 diabolically trained and under paid reservists?

    Give me a break.

    We would become international pariahs overnight and would collapse under immediate sanctions.

    There would be massive protests and sustained riots which would require a brutal crackdown with live rounds if the regime had any hope of remaining in power.

    We would be unable to defend ourselves from any foreign attack with no air force or navy worth mentioning to either defeat or run through a blockade.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member drummed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgrade Serbia
    Posts
    37,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    There was an interesting report this morning on the Pat Kenny radio show from 10.00am about the situation in Syria. Listen to it. Then cop the hell on!
    Сохранить Украины

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member james5001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    11,482
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    With only 8,500 regulars and 13,000 diabolically trained and under paid reservists?

    Give me a break.

    We would become international pariahs overnight and would collapse under immediate sanctions.

    There would be massive protests and sustained riots which would require a brutal crackdown with live rounds if the regime had any hope of remaining in power.

    We would be unable to defend ourselves from any foreign attack with no air force or navy worth mentioning to either defeat or run through a blockade.
    If the military came out and said that it'd allow the exploitation of the nations resources by MNC's for nothing they'd probably have the support of the most powerful state in the world.
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bag End, The Shire, Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    lol we don't have a real 'army' as such, just a lot of Dad's army types and overweight Sgt. Bilkos....

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    There was an interesting report this morning on the Pat Kenny radio show from 10.00am about the situation in Syria. Listen to it. Then cop the hell on!
    What does the situation in Syria have to do with this? The point is that we have lost our status as an independent nation and the people are being attacked daily - if the DF is there to defend us and is unwilling to step in temporarily and resolve what the political system has failed utterly to do (notwithstanding that this mess is the fault of the political system), then what are they there for?

    As for the previous comment about being unable to defend against foreign attack - what!? We can't do that already, and who would want to attack us? We're a dirt-poor little rock with nothing to offer an invading power - who would want to invade?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •