Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The flag that dare not show its colours

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The flag that dare not show its colours

The small town just south of the border where I live is currently festooned with the flags of many nations as part of the Saint Patrick's Weekend celebrations. While out and about this morning, I saw along with lots of Irish tricolours, the flags of, for example, Estonia, Lithuania, Denmark, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Poland, France, Spain.... even bizarrely Cuba!

I've noticed this before and I think it's quite bizarre: there's no Union Jack - not that I can see, anyway. Could other people check around their towns? Are there many international flags flying and if so, is the flag of our nearest neighbour amongst them? Or is this just a hardline, border thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    The small town just south of the border where I live is currently festooned with the flags of many nations as part of the Saint Patrick's Weekend celebrations. While out and about this morning, I saw along with lots of Irish tricolours, the flags of, for example, Estonia, Lithuania, Denmark, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Poland, France, Spain.... even bizarrely Cuba!

I've noticed this before and I think it's quite bizarre: there's no Union Jack - not that I can see, anyway. Could other people check around their towns? Are there many international flags flying and if so, is the flag of our nearest neighbour amongst them? Or is this just a hardline, border thing?
    The question is this, why are other flags flying on St Patricks day? Anyway if you want to see the Union Jack used as bunting on lamposts etc just drive north of the border and you will get your fill.
    Last edited by ne0ica; 15th March 2013 at 05:08 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ne0ica View Post
    The question is this, why are other flags flying on St Patricks day? Anyway if you want to see the Union Jack used as buting on lamposts etc just drive north of the border and you will get your fill.
    Well, I'm not that bothered to be honest. It's not the seeing of it, but I don't like discrimination.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like ne0ica, I don't see what flags-of-all-nations has to do with St Patrick's Day, and don't suppose many towns have gone with that theme for their decorations.

As to why flags-of-all-nations displays in the Republic exclude the Union Flag, well yeah I think we know why. The common workaround in recent years is to fly the English, Scottish and Welsh flags. Lots of tourist hotels etc do that. It leaves nobody excluded.... except northern Unionists.

Dylan2010

I was wondering for a minute why the Mexicans were celebrating the day.....need coffee

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by macbar37 View Post
    If you find that hard to understand walk into any known loyalist pub in Belfast wearing a green hat and a Tri Colour on Sunday and you will have two more colours added all over your body as you come sailing out the door if your lucky.
    How long would you last in Noctors pub in Sherrif St with a Rangers top?

Politics.ie Member Norman Bates's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't understand why. It's a wonderful, colourful flag:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post

Not a Union Jack fan but hopefully soon you could see this

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Norma Bates View Post
    Don't understand why. It's a wonderful, colourful flag:

it kinda looks like a bunch of no entry signs at different angles , even a traffic cop with his hand up implying Stop

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Prior to the GFA, union jacks were as common as hen's teeth in this jurisdiction. Afterwards, I noticed them appearing in a few (semi - official) locations like Dublin Airport. But, they are still rare enough. The issue is sometimes side-stepped by flying the flags of the individual nations.

To be fair though, I think I told the story of last Summer when up at the Giant's Causeway, there was a sign in the shop written in English, French and German saying they accepted Euros. There was a French flag beside the French one and a German flag beside the German one, but the English one was all on its lonesome. It didn't make sense to put a UK or US flag beside it (since it wasn't directed at citizens of those countries), but they couldn't bring themselves to put a tricolour bside it.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast