Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Labour Co Councillor resigns seat and party in South Tipp 14/3/2013

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Labour Co Councillor resigns seat and party in South Tipp 14/3/2013

Another damaging loss for the Labour party yesterday as Cllr Fitzgerald resigns his seat and from the party.
    Carrick-on-Suir based Cllr Bobby Fitzgerald has yesterday (Thursday) announced his resignation from the Labour Party and South Tipperary Co. Council.
    What can the Labour party do to stop this haemoraging at local and National level?
    hahahaha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is a councillor leaving any party really "damaging"? Like....who notices them until they defect?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Is a councillor leaving any party really "damaging"? Like....who notices them until they defect?
    True but minority parties need to keep everyone they have elected to work for and gain the support of grassroots, Labour have lossed quite a number of Cllrs and Td's since they went into coalition and thus are viewed as a sinking party on a downward trajectory, optics is everything and if the electorate view you as sliding they will not be long abandoning you for greener pastures
    hahahaha

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Well up in the fundament of Dublin, nobody. However when councillors resign, the people in their area do notice and with the Local Elections coming up, that could change things. When a councillor leaves, there's a chance that he or she could take part of the party's electoral machine with them and with that votes. It could result in a horseshoe nail situation for future Labour candidates.
    Regards...jmcc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Another Labour Cllr from the same constituency, Darren Ryan, resigned late last year as well. Labour have lost five or six cllrs since the last general election.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the only thing I can find on why he resigned.

In a statement, he said he felt the policy and agenda pursued by the Labour Party at national level was leading to untold hardship and misery to ordinary families and people which the Labour Party should represent.
    Cllr Fitzgerald resigns from Labour and Co. Council - Local - The Nationalist
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is on TippFM now.

Bobby Fitzgerald has also resigned from the Labour Party saying the policy and agenda pursued by the party at National level is leading to untold hardship and misery to ordinary families and people which they should represent.

He claims the Labour Party has lost its core values and needs real leadership.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have to laugh, when SF lost 3 cllrs in 2009-2010 we were told the party was dead in the water. When Lab lose 6 cllrs some people say its not "really damaging". Ha

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHickey View Post
    I have to laugh, when SF lost 3 cllrs in 2009-2010 we were told the party was dead in the water. When Lab lose 6 cllrs some people say its not "really damaging". Ha
    Yeah and considering that had Forde stayed with SF instead of Labour he would be seen as a future TD, and Minihan tying in with Eirigí will condemn her to a future of irrelevance, she took that seat under false pretense and I have no doubt SF will do everything in there power to get it back
    hahahaha

If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast