Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drink drive bans lifted, convictions reversed as several Gardaí absent from Court

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Drink drive bans lifted, convictions reversed as several Gardaí absent from Court

Serious management questions here as five convicted drink drive offenders get walkovers at their appeals due to no-show by prosecuting Gardaí.

Judge fumes. Drivers cheerfully head for their cars.

Conall Ó Fátharta tells the story:

Five drink drivers win appeals after gardaí fail to show | Irish Examiner

But who will ensure those management questions are ever answered?
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I appreciate this was the Circuit Court, but can see this being a more regular feature as all courts are centralised. Cost more for the litigant, more for the State and less chance of all relevant witnesseses being present.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Bench warrants for failure to appear. Contempt of court. A week in the Joy for one guard and I bet that's the end of this problem.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Bench warrants for failure to appear. Contempt of court. A week in the Joy for one guard and I bet that's the end of this problem.
    I am only speaking off the cuff here, so may be wrong. I think as the Garda is in fact prosecuting a summons for his attendance has not issued, as no summons no bench warrant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nonsense post
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its ridiculous that gardai need to hang around court for hours just to give evidence in cases like this. They should be able to do video link or prerecord the statement.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Researchwill View Post
    I am only speaking off the cuff here, so may be wrong. I think as the Garda is in fact prosecuting a summons for his attendance has not issued, as no summons no bench warrant.
    Agreed. So judges need to issue summons from now on. I'm speaking utterly off the cuff as well, I'm not sure of the logistics around getting to that point, but Gardai need to attend these sessions or criminals will go free. It's that simple. So if we're to persist with the current system, we need to make sure they attend.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why didnt the judge adjourn the cases peremptorily for 2 weeks and in the ibtervening period have the inspector bought in to explain under oat the problem
    "I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That would put manners on them...
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Its ridiculous that gardai need to hang around court for hours just to give evidence in cases like this. They should be able to do video link or prerecord the statement.
    Pre recorded can not work as no opportunity to cross examin. I have been told that video linked evidence is being arranged. For example all courts in CCJ are fully equipped for such evidence. All courts in Cork Circuit the same. What I am hearing is that the centralisation of the courts I.e. all cork cases in cork city, will have live video links to remote centres so say a Garda in Kinsale can give evidence from Kinsale etc.

Most minor mention matters in criminal matters are via video link if the accused is in custody. In fact I must admit I'm impressed with the Court Services and what they have done and plan todo.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast