Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ECHR strikes a blow for free speech

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default ECHR strikes a blow for free speech

So to set the scene: Back in 2008 French President Sarkozy gets in a war of words with a farmer in Paris. As one does. So Sarko tells him "Casse-toi, pauv'con" which (despite how the beeb politely sum it up) means "****************************** off you pr1ck".

So a few months later a chap writes the same thing on a sign, and holds it out when Sarko is coming past him. The same chap (Herve Eon) is then fined €30 for insulting the President, an archaic and rarely referenced law in France.

Eon gets the hump and appeals, and made it all the way to the Court of Human Rights. Where he wins.

The court stated that had the fine stood it would be
    "likely to have a chilling effect on satirical contributions to discussion of matters of public interest, such discussion being fundamental to a democratic society".
    Good stuff from the courts, seems like a common sense ruling.

BBC News - European Court backs man against France over anti-Sarkozy insult
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Grand, I'm off to the Aras in the morning with a big sign, form a queue.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good job ECHR. This guy should take a case when he still has a chance.
    Police remove David Cameron '************************************' poster | UK news | The Guardian

A man who placed a poster of David Cameron containing the word "w%nker" in his window has described how police handcuffed him in his home on election day, threatened him with arrest, and forcibly removed what they said was offensive campaign literature.
    The punchline:

Hoffman said he would lodge a formal complaint. He has since returned the poster to his window, but replaced the word "************************er" with "onanist", derived from a biblical character in Genesis 38:9 whose seed was "spilled on the ground"
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Would someone eating a hamburger in public cause Mrs Harney offence?
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Good stuff.
    Repeal the 27th.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    So to set the scene: Back in 2008 French President Sarkozy gets in a war of words with a farmer in Paris. As one does. So Sarko tells him "Casse-toi, pauv'con" which (despite how the beeb politely sum it up) means "****************************** off you pr1ck".

So a few months later a chap writes the same thing on a sign, and holds it out when Sarko is coming past him. The same chap (Herve Eon) is then fined €30 for insulting the President, an archaic and rarely referenced law in France.

Eon gets the hump and appeals, and made it all the way to the Court of Human Rights. Where he wins.

The court stated that had the fine stood it would be

Good stuff from the courts, seems like a common sense ruling.

BBC News - European Court backs man against France over anti-Sarkozy insult
    Sarky may have deserved it as he spoke first, but I can't for the life of me see how lowering the public tone is a good days work.

Piece by little piece, we're killing ourselves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Would someone eating a hamburger in public cause Mrs Harney offence?
    They'd be putting their lives in their own hands eating near her. My mind casts back to those stories where people lose their arms after reaching into tiger cages. Like sure, the tiger shouldn't attack you, but why are you putting your arm in there?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    Sarky may have deserved it as he spoke first, but I can't for the life of me see how lowering the public tone is a good days work.

Piece by little piece, we're killing ourselves.
    I can disagree with both of them saying it, but the idea that you can be fined for telling a politician to f&^k off is ridiculous to me.

Aside from the old French law, this decision must have some precedent value to the rest of us?
    Redacted.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I can disagree with both of them saying it, but the idea that you can be fined for telling a politician to f&^k off is ridiculous to me.
    Fine them both by all means, but it shouldn't be acceptable no matter who it is said to.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast