Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 75

Thread: ECHR strikes a blow for free speech

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,485
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default ECHR strikes a blow for free speech

    So to set the scene: Back in 2008 French President Sarkozy gets in a war of words with a farmer in Paris. As one does. So Sarko tells him "Casse-toi, pauv'con" which (despite how the beeb politely sum it up) means "****************************** off you pr1ck".

    So a few months later a chap writes the same thing on a sign, and holds it out when Sarko is coming past him. The same chap (Herve Eon) is then fined €30 for insulting the President, an archaic and rarely referenced law in France.

    Eon gets the hump and appeals, and made it all the way to the Court of Human Rights. Where he wins.

    The court stated that had the fine stood it would be
    "likely to have a chilling effect on satirical contributions to discussion of matters of public interest, such discussion being fundamental to a democratic society".
    Good stuff from the courts, seems like a common sense ruling.

    BBC News - European Court backs man against France over anti-Sarkozy insult
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member storybud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    6,729
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Grand, I'm off to the Aras in the morning with a big sign, form a queue.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    east and west
    Posts
    22,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Good job ECHR. This guy should take a case when he still has a chance.
    Police remove David Cameron '************************************' poster | UK news | The Guardian

    A man who placed a poster of David Cameron containing the word "w%nker" in his window has described how police handcuffed him in his home on election day, threatened him with arrest, and forcibly removed what they said was offensive campaign literature.
    The punchline:

    Hoffman said he would lodge a formal complaint. He has since returned the poster to his window, but replaced the word "************************er" with "onanist", derived from a biblical character in Genesis 38:9 whose seed was "spilled on the ground"
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Bunker...Returning Fire!
    Posts
    29,284
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Would someone eating a hamburger in public cause Mrs Harney offence?
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

  5. #5

    Default

    Good stuff.
    Repeal the 27th.

  6. #6
    GDPR Deleted
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    103,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    So to set the scene: Back in 2008 French President Sarkozy gets in a war of words with a farmer in Paris. As one does. So Sarko tells him "Casse-toi, pauv'con" which (despite how the beeb politely sum it up) means "****************************** off you pr1ck".

    So a few months later a chap writes the same thing on a sign, and holds it out when Sarko is coming past him. The same chap (Herve Eon) is then fined €30 for insulting the President, an archaic and rarely referenced law in France.

    Eon gets the hump and appeals, and made it all the way to the Court of Human Rights. Where he wins.

    The court stated that had the fine stood it would be


    Good stuff from the courts, seems like a common sense ruling.

    BBC News - European Court backs man against France over anti-Sarkozy insult
    Sarky may have deserved it as he spoke first, but I can't for the life of me see how lowering the public tone is a good days work.

    Piece by little piece, we're killing ourselves.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,485
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Would someone eating a hamburger in public cause Mrs Harney offence?
    They'd be putting their lives in their own hands eating near her. My mind casts back to those stories where people lose their arms after reaching into tiger cages. Like sure, the tiger shouldn't attack you, but why are you putting your arm in there?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,485
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    Sarky may have deserved it as he spoke first, but I can't for the life of me see how lowering the public tone is a good days work.

    Piece by little piece, we're killing ourselves.
    I can disagree with both of them saying it, but the idea that you can be fined for telling a politician to f&^k off is ridiculous to me.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  9. #9

    Default

    Aside from the old French law, this decision must have some precedent value to the rest of us?
    Redacted.

  10. #10
    GDPR Deleted
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    103,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I can disagree with both of them saying it, but the idea that you can be fined for telling a politician to f&^k off is ridiculous to me.
    Fine them both by all means, but it shouldn't be acceptable no matter who it is said to.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •