Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Mayor of Arklow joins Fine Gael

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member mickterry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Mayor of Arklow joins Fine Gael

    It was announced last night that the mayor of Arklow, Peter Dempsey is to join Fine Gael. Dempsey, a noted me feiner has one eye on next years locals no doubt. he has always portrayed himself as a man of the people but the word is that his supporters are not happy. It can also be said that the local FG member of Wicklow County Council, Sylvester Bourke, is not a happy bunny at all.
    Last edited by mickterry; 14th March 2013 at 11:44 PM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Korea
    Posts
    7,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mickterry View Post
    It was announced last night that the mayor of Arklow, Peter Dempsey is to join Fine Gael. Dempsey, a noted me feiner has one eye on next years locals no doubt. he has always portrayed himself as a man of the people but the word is that his supporters are not happy. It can also be said that the local FG member of Wicklow county Council is not a happy bunny at all.
    Rats joing a sinking ship comes to mind

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freewillie View Post
    Rats joing a sinking ship comes to mind
    Do you post everything that comes to mind? Even if its silly?
    Redacted.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member tigerben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Midleton
    Posts
    4,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Why oh why, when property tax letters are landing and water charges coming would you jump on board! Is it to have election expense paid for by the party on the local election? It's doesn't look like a good move at this time and good luck explaining to people why his done this.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mickterry View Post
    It was announced last night that the mayor of Arklow, Peter Dempsey is to join Fine Gael. Dempsey, a noted me feiner has one eye on next years locals no doubt. he has always portrayed himself as a man of the people but the word is that his supporters are not happy. It can also be said that the local FG member of Wicklow County Council, Sylvester Bourke, is not a happy bunny at all.
    Well, if he lokking at all the state quangos going up for grabs, then he really had no alternative. Either join up, or get left out with no space in the trough for your snout.

    I blame the new Chairman of the Irish Film Board. Inspirational.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member mickterry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    Why oh why, when property tax letters are landing and water charges coming would you jump on board! Is it to have election expense paid for by the party on the local election? It's doesn't look like a good move at this time and good luck explaining to people why his done this.
    His family were all FF, but he reckons that Enda is doing a great job and wants to be part of the team. He originally got his seat on an anti drugs campaign ticket eleven years ago when he was co-opted and held his seat at two local elections. He failed to get on the county council and disgraced himself at the general election in 2011. He will be despised in Arklow over this as the town is hurting over job losses and the like. The main street is like a ghost town and while he has had lots of ideas, he has achieved nothing in his time on the council.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member mickterry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Well, if he lokking at all the state quangos going up for grabs, then he really had no alternative. Either join up, or get left out with no space in the trough for your snout.

    I blame the new Chairman of the Irish Film Board. Inspirational.
    Not smart enough for a quango and I know the threshold is low for that.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sinn Fein
    Posts
    722
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Why don't FF and FG just merge and get it over with. They are so obviously interchangeable. People really only differentiate FG from FF due to family connections. Even that is quickly dumped when an opportunity arises. What a pathetic, pathetic lot.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11,231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mickterry View Post
    His family were all FF, but he reckons that Enda is doing a great job and wants to be part of the team. He originally got his seat on an anti drugs campaign ticket eleven years ago when he was co-opted and held his seat at two local elections. He failed to get on the county council and disgraced himself at the general election in 2011. He will be despised in Arklow over this as the town is hurting over job losses and the like. The main street is like a ghost town and while he has had lots of ideas, he has achieved nothing in his time on the council.
    Isn't he trying to get the town council to buy up a failed developers land in the centre of town so the great unwashed will have a nice town park? Love to know the ins and outs of that one. Allegedly it's now going cheap and is a steal at half a million Euro and well within reach of a council that presides over a main street where a quarter of the shops are empty, all the major industries are gone, there's chronic unemployment and most of the young have emigrated.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member mickterry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niall78 View Post
    Isn't he trying to get the town council to buy up a failed developers land in the centre of town so the great unwashed will have a nice town park? Love to know the ins and outs of that one. Allegedly it's now going cheap and is a steal at half a million Euro and well within reach of a council that presides over a main street where a quarter of the shops are empty, all the major industries are gone, there's chronic unemployment and most of the young have emigrated.
    Half the shops on the Main street are empty. Indeed he has come up with a hair brained idea of buying a site and turning it into a park. He said it could be bought for 450,000 but the auctioneers say it would be nearer to 1 million. The same again would be needed to level the site. just populist rubbish that no one with an iota of sense is buying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •