Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Laundering...Part Duex

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Fuel Laundering...Part Duex

More than 300 members of the PSNI, Garda, Revenue and Customs, the Irish Defence Forces and the British Army were involved in the raid, which centred on the suspected fuel laundering activities of the former IRA chief-of-staff.
    IRA chief Thomas 'Slab' Murphy quizzed after airborne swoops on frontier
    - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

PSNI and Garda cooperated in dawn raids at about 20 addresses in the Republic and three in Crossmaglen.

The DUP MP for North Antrim said: “For there to have been not one single arrest is a complete embarrassment.”

In January, a leading investigator with HMRC made headlines when he made a similar complaint that, over the last 10 years, no one in the Province has been jailed for fuel smuggling.
    Anger at lack of arrests after major illegal fuel busts - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter

Fuel laundering and smuggling costs the governments on both sides of the border tens of millions annually.

In Northern Ireland, the latest estimates from HMRC suggest the UK government lost about £70m in revenue in 2012.

That is a lot of money, but considerably less than the estimates of about £250m back in 2006.

In the Republic of Ireland, according to figures reported by a Dail committee that investigated the issue, the authorities lose about 150m euro each year.
    BBC News - Fuel laundering 'costs tens of millions' to governments

More than 14 tonnes of toxic waste have been removed from an industrial unit in south Armagh after the discovery of a diesel laundering plant.

Customs and police officers searched the units in the Jonesborough area on Wednesday morning.

They discovered large underground tanks being used to launder green diesel.

The plant, capable of producing 25 million litres of illicit fuel, evading over £18m in taxes and duty a year, was dismantled.
    BBC News - Underground fuel plant dismantled in south Armagh

The last OP was pulled lest moi offended someone... one wonders why there has been no convictions in the last ten years despite score of 'successful' operations...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it is Loyalists gangs hard at work !
    IRELAND FIRST

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cillian32 View Post
    I think
    That would be a first...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    That would be a first...
    Trolling his own thread already

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default parte trio

Mon stew! moi is shacked...

Customs experts have described a fuel laundering plant in south Armagh as the most sophisticated ever found in Northern Ireland.The complex plant -- capable of pumping out 16 million litres of illegal fuel each year -- was discovered near Crossmaglen.
    South Armagh fuel laundering plant 'most sophisticated ever found' in Northern Ireland - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For a moment there I thought the bould Bridges had his thread-starting rights restored

I also thought they'd finally caught Slab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With the ever increasing, rip off prices of fuel..... I'm not surprised there are so many illegal fuel plants popping up around Ireland as a whole...I see one is in Jonesborough. Heh.... I have a good idea what that one was.

But yea, we pay over 60% tax on fuel. I think the government should be the ones arrested instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by belfast1981 View Post
    With the ever increasing, rip off prices of fuel..... I'm not surprised there are so many illegal fuel plants popping up around Ireland as a whole...I see one is in Jonesborough. Heh.... I have a good idea what that one was.

But yea, we pay over 60% tax on fuel. I think the government should be the ones arrested instead.

It's not rip off, you goons pay it without objection, 10 bucks a gallon here would mean Armegeddon

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by belfast1981 View Post

Good point. Iff the government wants to do away with this market why not just reduce taxes of fuel? Helps the homeowner, drivers, farmers, consumers.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ocianain View Post
    Good point. Iff the government wants to do away with this market why not just reduce taxes of fuel? Helps the homeowner, drivers, farmers, consumers.....

Wise up pal, government needs the revenue to pay for the loyalist hate parades/bonfires etc etc.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast