Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: What do you think of TD's pay?

Voters
301. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • They're paid too much

233 77.41%
  • They're paid too little

18 5.98%
  • They're paid enough

50 16.61%
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: TDs - zeros or heroes?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default TDs - zeros or heroes?

If you are a TD, you will earn a basic salary of 92k per annum plus a host of other allowances, perks and expenses. - What TDs earn: the extras - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Sat, Oct 27, 2012. If you are lucky enough/unlucky enough to be a minister, you can add on between 17k and 100k - One-stop trough: how much do Irish politicians get paid? (Part 1 of 3) | NAMA Wine Lake

Some claim to live on the average industrial wage in solidarity with their fellow citizens but draw the full entitlement from the state - which can have a very detrimental effect on their body image - 'Sinn Féin barely leave me enough wages for make-up': TD Sandra McLellan says her party's pay policy could deter candidates | Mail Online.

Others simply draw their full entitlement - Jackie Healy Rae claims 1,000,000 in expenses and http://www.politics.ie/forum/oireach...y-tribune.html.

Some see their position as an opportunity to feather their nests and those of their cronies - AS IT HAPPENED: Ahern did not account for.

Some are most unfortunate in how their dealings are interpreted - Gilmore denies role in wife's posting - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 20, 2012 and Gilmore wife got.

Some are simply corrupt - Ming - I'm corrupt. or cheat their taxes - Mick Wallace off the hook after or are economical with the truth - Taoiseach ‘has no intention’ of re-opening Moriarty Tribunal.

However, whatever about their, qualities, flaws and effectiveness as politicians, it is very hard work being a TD. The rubber chicken circuits, meetings, clinics, pesky Dáil attendances, Cumann meetings, canvassing, kissing hands and shaking babies etc. are necessary elements of a TDs working day. They certainly see themselves as being busy people as this handy and informative Oireachtas guide demonstrates - http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/...he-Life-EN.pdf

Given the work they put in to being politicians, are they paid too much or too little?
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

In terms of pay per hour, it's not excessive. However, even if we paid the 1997-2011 governments 1 euro each, it would have been very bad value for our money.

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Loving the OP Mr. B... you paint a pretty picture.....worthy of a poll, no?? (perhaps the most one-sided one in p.ie history, I suspect)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are pretty well looked after in the scheme of things Europe wide.
    And many were that way before they entered the game.
    How many ex td's are scraping by?
    Its only a chat, we ain't the world council.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thats why iam not voting in the Meath East election give some one a job goes up the road to the dail then votes to tax the fucck of me.

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The pay is ok, but there are too many of them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintop View Post
    Loving the OP Mr. B... you paint a pretty picture.....worthy of a poll, no?? (perhaps the most one-sided one in p.ie history, I suspect)
    Perhaps, but I would imagine that a TD could easily put in an average of 70 hours per week hard work with a lot of responsibility. 92k pa doesn't seem a lot in that context.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Actually Mountaintop, you are right, a poll would be excellent - any friendly mod around?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumble View Post
    Perhaps, but I would imagine that a TD could easily put in
    an average of 70 hours per week hard work with a lot of responsibility. 92k pa doesn't seem a lot in that context.
    Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be devil's advocate

Do ya think Enda ,Eamon , Mickey give two highland shytes they believe they are entitled to every bit of free loot they can get hands on.Ya want a welfare vote buying state yer going ta pay big for it .

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast