Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The stark numbers: 1/4 school girls in South Africa have HIV.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default The stark numbers: 1/4 school girls in South Africa have HIV.

BBC News - South Africa: 'Over 25% of schoolgirls HIV positive'

Terrifying stuff, 28% of school girls are HIV positive.

On the plus side, the country is taking it seriously now. For all the slating of Zuma, he and his health minister have more than doubled the amount of life saving drugs being issued to patients. We're some distance from Mbeki questioning how AIDS spreads.

But the figures are scary.

1/4 school girls have HIV

10% of the entire population has it

50% of the deaths in the country are as a result of Aids.

And SA is better at measuring the numbers and treating than many African countries, and more honest than Russia. How bad is this really in other countries.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Emm, and 4% of schoolboys are HIV positive.

Terrifying alright, for females in SA.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Emm, and 4% of schoolboys are HIV positive.

Terrifying alright, for females in SA.
    At least 28% of South African schoolgirls are HIV positive compared with 4% of boys because "sugar daddies" are exploiting them, Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi has said.
    This is a serious epidemic which ought to have every resource legal,medical and finacial applied towards resolving it.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is still better than the 64% of people infected with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa.

Some frightening numbers here. Nigeria for example, 3rd largest number of people with HIV.

http://data.unaids.org/pub/GlobalRep...nafrica_en.pdf
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    This is a serious epidemic which ought to have every resource legal,medical and finacial applied towards resolving it.
    Yes it is and every resource should be applied, but how do you change a culture (a mindset) that simply does not value females in the same way as it values males ...
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Yes it is and every resource should be applied, but how do you change a culture (a mindset) that simply does not value females in the same way as it values males ...
    Yes, that is a major problem. Recent violent rapes there which went almost unremarked at the same time as that awful murder in India show a huge problem of violence, especially sexual violence, against women.

Which is why I found it quite strange that the coverage of these HIV figures seems to emphasize the "Sugar Daddy" aspect.

I wouldn't deny that exists (poverty generally and a lack of career possibilities for women in particular are bound to make young girls easy prey for older men) but the sheer number of young women who are raped must be part of the explanation too. Especially as sex with a baby was thought by some men to be a cure for AIDS. Horrifying.
    South Africa’s child-rape epidemic | Photographers Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was in Kenya around 1999 and was told that about 20%-30% of young adults had HIV. However, 13 years on, the population has grown 30% since then - which is impossible if 30% of the reproductive age population were dying of aids.

There are political games being played with these statistics, and not a lot of science.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It really does put our own problems into context when you think about it, totally heartbreaking to think of so many young people having to cope with such a horrific illness.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post

Which is why I found it quite strange that the coverage of these HIV figures seems to emphasize the "Sugar Daddy" aspect.
    I suppose because AIDS wouldn't pass to the young generation if the older generation doesn't pass it on. Although I'd say straightforward abuse by fathers/nieghbours/relatives could account for a good bit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    I was in Kenya around 1999 and was told that about 20%-30% of young adults had HIV. However, 13 years on, the population has grown 30% since then - which is impossible if 30% of the reproductive age population were dying of aids.

There are political games being played with these statistics, and not a lot of science.
    Well, if the town next to you claims 15% infection, and you claim 20% infection, who gets the new hospital?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    Especially as sex with a baby was thought by some men to be a cure for AIDS.
    Sex with virgins, I have understood. But youngest victims have been babies.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast