Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: If the unionist parties merge/run agreed candidates, what will SF and the SDLP do ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default If the unionist parties merge/run agreed candidates, what will SF and the SDLP do ??

Watching the Spotlight program about Mike Nesbitt, it may well evolve into a merge or agreed candidates between all the main unionist parties ( DUP, UUP, TUV). If such a circumstance came about, surely that would force SDF and SDLP to co operate ? In analyzing this, it should be kept in mind that their is only 2 seats in the present Stormont in the difference between the unionist bloc and the nationalist one.
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The SDLP has always rejected pacts with SF. In 2010 a Unionist-pact candidate won Fermanagh-South Tyrone on the first count but lost on the subsequent recounts but it was single digits as far as I know.
    Last edited by Dame_Enda; 14th March 2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: 2010 not 2005
    Fair and Balanced

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    The SDLP has always rejected pacts with SF. In 2005 a Unionist-pact candidate won Fermanagh-South Tyrone on the first count but lost on the subsequent recounts but it was single digits as far as I know.
    2010 you mean?

Michelle Gildernew beat Rodney Conor by 4 Fenian votes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    The SDLP has always rejected pacts with SF. In 2005 a Unionist-pact candidate won Fermanagh-South Tyrone on the first count but lost on the subsequent recounts but it was single digits as far as I know.
    Yes I see your point, there's always been greater hostility to nationalist co operation by the SDLP to SF than between the unionists. The SDLP have the odd time stood aside, for example when Bobby Sands stood for Fermanagh/South Tyrone (because they were fearful of the voters backlash to the SDLP if the had stood against him, not because they had any sympathy for the Republican movement). But surely the SDLP and SF will see the real politic of the situation if there is greater co operation between the main unionist parties ?

BTW, maybe I should qualify the position of the TUV as they may be more cooler to a merge/co operation than the UUP ?
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jack View Post
    2010 you mean?

Yes and an enraged Tom Elliot ranted about the "scum of Sinn Fein"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jack View Post
    2010 you mean?

Sorry 2010.
    Fair and Balanced

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    Watching the Spotlight program about Mike Nesbitt, it may well evolve into a merge or agreed candidates between all the main unionist parties ( DUP, UUP, TUV). If such a circumstance came about, surely that would force SDF and SDLP to co operate ? In analyzing this, it should be kept in mind that their is only 2 seats in the present Stormont in the difference between the unionist bloc and the nationalist one.
    I heard that last night but I dont understand, checking the wiki page you get:

DUP (38) (U)
    Sinn Féin (29) (N)
    SDLP (14) (N)
    UUP (13) (U)

Do unionists not outnumber by 8?
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its a sign of desperation that they've to run agreed candidates, oh how the mighty have fallen.
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

John and Basil's party will eat up some unionist votes. Probably enough so that nationalists will retain FST and SB in 2015.

I've got a funny feeling SF wont stand again in SB either, helping McDonnell.

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWelshCelt View Post
    I heard that last night but I dont understand, checking the wiki page you get:

DUP (38) (U)
    Sinn Féin (29) (N)
    SDLP (14) (N)
    UUP (13) (U)

Do unionists not outnumber by 8?
    Six seats is nothing ffs!
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast