Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: The lunatics are running the asylum

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The lunatics are running the asylum

I think it's fair to say, without fear of contradiction, that this week makes it official that the lunatics are running the asylum. If it wasn't for the election of a new pope, even RTE might have had to deal with this fact.

This week a number of things happened that finally eliminate any sense of well-being I retained about the future of this state.

1 - a TD gets to decide he has no case to answer after trying to score political points highlighting "corruption" among Gardai and then having to admit he sought and availed of said corruption
    2 - his tax defaulting stable mate, while sucking on the tax payers teat, tells us it's okay, because we all make mistakes
    3- the government celebrate putting the current and future tax payer Ä5bn more in debt as if it's some kind of achievement as opposed to a recognition by the "markets" that Ireland would rather drive it's own citizens to suicide that to default on debt
    4 - the government decides that people in mortgage arrears are more important than high earning tax payers, so prefer to tax more to pay the debts of "struggling" mortgage holders

It's just insane....our leaders have no moral authority over us, but continually demonstrate complete contempt for us and any fair system of justice and natural law.
    The more things change....

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Putting lunatics in charge of the asylum is a time-honoured human tradition. Our mythologies carry more than a taste of schizophrenia and temporal lobe epilepsy, while our societies maintain a leadership niche for intelligent individuals with borderline narcissistic and antisocial personality disorders.

Accept this and move on. Our "leaders" will never have moral authority. They're humans making decisions. Humans are not disinterested decision makers and you should expect corruption when a human is given power over other humans.

Rather then wasting our lives in a perpetual miasma of confusion and disappointment, lets expect humans to act like humans have historically acted and update our models accordingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    I think it's fair to say, without fear of contradiction, that this week makes it official that the lunatics are running the asylum.
    You're late to the party. If there's one single thing on which I suspect the majority of p.ie posters by and large agree, it's the fact that the lunatics have been running that particular asylum for a very long time indeed.

What needs to be done:

1. Uphold the rule of law.
    2. Treat everyone equal before the law.
    3. Limit the power of government.
    4. Shrink the size and scope of goverment.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern manís existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Disappointment central; I was sure this was going to be another anti-Mods thread.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cathalrh View Post
    Putting lunatics in charge of the asylum is a time-honoured human tradition. Our mythologies carry more than a taste of schizophrenia and temporal lobe epilepsy, while our societies maintain a leadership niche for intelligent individuals with borderline narcissistic and antisocial personality disorders.

Accept this and move on. Our "leaders" will never have moral authority. They're humans making decisions. Humans are not disinterested decision makers and you should expect corruption when a human is given power over other humans.

Rather then wasting our lives in a perpetual miasma of confusion and disappointment, lets expect humans to act like humans have historically acted and update our models accordingly.
    We're all humans, but if I pulled that kind of sh1t at work I'd be out the door in a flash.

I think we expect too little from our politicians, but also they've built up structures that makes it impossible to impeach them. A tax defaulter in receipt of a state income....seriously? Someone who's availed of illegal services to have penalty points eliminated sitting in the states legislature....really? A state that celebrates NOT being able to live within it's means....a policy to mug Peter to pay off Paul's mortgage....is that even LEGAL?

Where do we get to shout stop?
    The more things change....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cathalrh View Post

The lunatic shtuff did not start this week.

The country was bankrupted some time back.

Nor is it confined to this country or even these threads.

All we can do is hope that our institutional inertia does not stop us from keeping up with the game.

Neither the people in charge of the country nor these threads give me much optimism on the latter point.