Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerry GAA anger over drugs case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Kerry GAA anger over drugs case.

The recent jailing of a Kerry Senior Hurler for drug dealing attracted some media attention recently.Kerry hurler Sean Dowling was jailed last week for drug dealing. According to todays Kerrys Eye, Kerry County Board Chairman Patrick O'Sullivan is furious that he was not made aware that the Senior Hurling Manager was about to give a character reference for Mr Dowling. It is also reported that Kerry GAA bosses were outraged at "failing procedures" that allowed an alleged drug dealer to continue to train and play with the Hurlers.Mr O Sullivan said that if he had known about the case he "under no circumstances" would have allowed the alleged drug dealer near a GAA pitch.

I commend Patrick O'Sullivan for taking issue with the character reference, this carry on has gone on too long. A line of do gooders willing to give references just because someone is a GAA player should be stopped and not allowed in our court process.

Is Patrick O'Sullivan correct and should the player have been banned from the team? Should he be entitled to the presumption of innocence?

Note: Some of the alleged drug dealing went on where young kids were training. My view is he should of been banned and character references in criminal trials should be stopped. Does a GAA figure giving a character reference in a criminal trial reflect badly on the GAA?

The text below is taken from the Kerrys Eye website link Kerry's Eye News
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/judge-...f-ardfert-man/

GAA bosses in Kerry are furious over a collapse in their procedures that allowed an alleged drug dealer continue to train and play with the senior Kerry hurling team.
    County Board Chairman Patrick O’Sullivan said this week that the first he knew of the case, in which a member of the senior hurling squad was charged and ultimately convicted of drug dealing, was last Wednesday night - over a year after the player was first caught by gardai, and hours after he was jailed for two years.
    The top GAA officer in Kerry said that procedures regarding a player suspected of drug dealing had totally failed, and the communication breakdown reflects poorly on the GAA in Kerry.
    Last edited by johnny365; 14th March 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kerry have a hurling team? Since when?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1. As long as the manager was speaking in his capacity as an individual (And not claiming to speak for Kerry Hurling) I can't see an issue.

2. As long as the individual wasn't convicted why shouldn't he be allowed to play? At the time he was presumed innocent.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More here:

Judge refuses to reduce sentence of Ardfert man

Kerry Hurler?.. is that like a Kilkenny footballer?

Heavy enough sentence on the young lad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Feen View Post
    Kerry have a hurling team? Since when?
    Kerry won the Senior All Ireland Hurling Championship in 1891!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnny365 View Post
    The recent jailing of a Kerry Senior Hurler for drug dealing attracted some media attention recently.Kerry hurler Sean Dowling was jailed last week for drug dealing. According to todays Kerrys Eye, Kerry County Board Chairman Patrick O'Sullivan is furious that he was not made aware that the Senior Hurling Manager was about to give a character reference for Mr Dowling. It is also reported that Kerry GAA bosses were outraged at "failing procedures" that allowed an alleged drug dealer to continue to train and play with the Hurlers.Mr O Sullivan said that if he had known about the case he "under no circumstances" would have allowed the alleged drug dealer near a GAA pitch.

I commend Patrick O'Sullivan for taking issue with the character reference, this carry on has gone on too long. A line of do gooders willing to give references just because someone is a GAA player should be stopped and not allowed in our court process.

Is Patrick O'Sullivan correct and should the player have been banned from the team? Should he be entitled to the presumption of innocence?

Note: Some of the alleged drug dealing went on where young kids were training. My view is he should of been banned and character references in criminal trials should be stopped. Does a GAA figure giving a character reference in a criminal trial reflect badly on the GAA.

GAA bosses in Kerry are furious over a collapse in their procedures that allowed an alleged drug dealer continue to train and play with the senior Kerry hurling team.
    County Board Chairman Patrick O’Sullivan said this week that the first he knew of the case, in which a member of the senior hurling squad was charged and ultimately convicted of drug dealing, was last Wednesday night - over a year after the player was first caught by gardai, and hours after he was jailed for two years.
    The top GAA officer in Kerry said that procedures regarding a player suspected of drug dealing had totally failed, and the communication breakdown reflects poorly on the GAA in Kerry.
    I believe that Pat O'Sullivan is correct in his stance however this is not the first time that Kerry GAA stalwarts have supported unsavory characters IMO, and I do not intend to go into further detail.
    Drugs have become endemic in the County and the player should have been asked to step aside until such time as the case was heard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    1. As long as the manager was speaking in his capacity as an individual (And not claiming to speak for Kerry Hurling) I can't see an issue.

2. As long as the individual wasn't convicted why shouldn't he be allowed to play? At the time he was presumed innocent.
    I agree but what if dealing was alleged to be going on in GAA grounds near where Children do training?

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnny365 View Post

Note: Some of the alleged drug dealing went on where young kids were training. My view is he should of been banned and character references in criminal trials should be stopped. Does a GAA figure giving a character reference in a criminal trial reflect badly on the GAA.

The bolded bit is something that I find disturbing. The County Chairman has no role whatever in whether someone in the organisation is asked to provide a character reference. That is sailing close to materially interfering with witnesses.

It's one of those things which look bad; members of an organisation providing character testimony for one of their own, but two things need to be remembered: the witness does not represent that organisation, and, their joint membership of the organisation may mean a familiarity which other acquaintances don't have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verhofstadt View Post
    More here:

Judge refuses to reduce sentence of Ardfert man

Kerry Hurler?.. is that like a Kilkenny footballer?

Heavy enough sentence on the young lad.
    Thanks forgot to post that link in the OP.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post
    I believe that Pat O'Sullivan is correct in his stance however this is not the first time that Kerry GAA stalwarts have supported unsavory characters IMO, and I do not intend to go into further detail.
    Drugs have become endemic in the County and the player should have been asked to step aside until such time as the case was heard.
    To ask the player to sttand asiide risks prejudicing the trial.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast