Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dublin described as "oversubscribed" despite double digit unemployment

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dublin described as "oversubscribed" despite double digit unemployment

That's what he said
    Experienced hand needed to guide Shannon growth

<...>Barry O’Sullivan, Chairman of the American Chamber Mid West<...>"The greater Dublin region is oversubscribed while other regions struggle for investment, despite having invested in third level education facilities and transport infrastructure.<...>
    I honestly believe that the mentality illustrated by this quote is part of our problem. It's even mildly incoherent to the extent that he also says
    I welcome IDA Ireland’s prioritisation of Gateway locations
    The actual situation is that every region has double digit unemployment. Every region has a problem. And if Dublin undersubscribed is to the extent of having double digit unemployment, it shows the mountain that needs to be climbed nationally.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/rel...nhs_q42012.pdf

Dublin is doing relatively better than other regions; describing it as "oversubscribed", though, is utterly inappropriate. The point is that the whole country, including Dublin, is short of jobs and investment. It might help if we all saw it that way.
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Dylan2010

what does he want , an Intel factory at every crossroads? Ireland has one city its called Dublin, Cork at a push, the rest are just big towns.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    what does he want , an Intel factory at every crossroads? Ireland has one city its called Dublin, Cork at a push, the rest are just big towns.
    why should people outside Dublin pay taxes to Dublin so Dubliners can reap the benefits? There is life outside of Dublin.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Claudius View Post
    why should people outside Dublin pay taxes to Dublin so Dubliners can reap the benefits? There is life outside of Dublin.

I hope they dont but its more likely it goes the other way. it would be much better if every county received the taxes of the residents that live there.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    I hope they dont but its more likely it goes the other way. it would be much better if every county received the taxes of the residents that live there.
    twould be better but at the moment you have likes of Donegal people paying taxes and getting no services. Cancer care they can get in Galway which is about a six hour round trip. Dubliners bitch if they have to cross the liffey.

There are other places where you ring an ambulance and have to wait two hours for it.

There's no leadership in the country, just voices in the wilderness , mostly those of morons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

twould be better but at the moment you have likes of Donegal people paying taxes and getting no services. Cancer care they can get in Galway which is about a six hour round trip. Dubliners bitch if they have to cross the liffey.

There are other places where you ring an ambulance and have to wait two hours for it.
    Woukln't that be proportional to the amount of taxes generated by an area, do you really think it would be better if Roscommon and Leitrim only got what they paid for......they'd only have a few boreens at this point to get to the hospital and it would take considerably longer.
    “atheism is a belief system in the same way that not playing football is a sport.”

Dylan2010

sure but if "paddy" wants to live 200 meters away from his nearest neigbour then dont expect a hospital on your doorstep. I'm walking distance from my nearest A&E , thats my choice everyone else ought to live with theirs and stop moaning.

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh God... I feel another rural whinge fest coming on...

If people want urban services and infrastructure then they need to move to urban areas... Simple as.

The constant whingeing by people who choose to live in the middle of nowhere while expecting the same level of infrastructure and services that exist in urban areas is utterly tedious and futile...

It's not going to happen. They shouldn't expect it to happen and it doesn't happen anywhere else in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dublin subsidises the rest of the State - it is the economic engine of the country. Dublin area has around one third of the population but generates more than half the tax revenue of the State.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast