Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: North America and 'St Patty's Day'

Politics.ie Member de valera's' giddy goat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default North America and 'St Patty's Day'

Having lived in North America for almost 2 years now, i believe i am fitting in fairly well. However there is one thing that really annoys me, the use of St Patty instead of St Patrick.
    This appears on tshirts and all manner of paddywhackery merchandise, people wishing each other a happy st patty's day. it is completely baffling.
    This was brought back to me today by a comment on George Takei's facebook page of all places(he of Star Trek fame) where he mentions St Patty.
    Cue a lot of Irish people trying to tell him that it's St Patrick, not Patty, and cue Americans saying what does it matter, its just a day for drinking and calling it St Pukie's day etc etc etc. and progressively sharper comments from both sides.
    Do I need to take a chill pill and enjoy St Patty's day with my shamrock shake and my local river painted green or am I right to be mildly offended at it, after all i wouldn't dare to say happy martina luther king jr day
    im not sure can you put a link from facebook on this site so I won't...but to see the fun just google george takei facebook and you should see it.
    There's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation. Pierre Trudeau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They pronounce "Paddy" and "Patty" the same way over there. But yes, it's annoying - I associate the name Patty with middle-aged suburban women, not with our venerable Saint Patrick.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Paddy, Not Patty

How did Patty's ever make sense? It sounds wrong in any accent.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just tell them you're looking forward to the fork of July. That'll harden them....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    The fact OP has Goat in his username makes this an excellent find. Bravo Zulu.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought that st patty thing was something to do with the gay scene in the states (lesbian men haters) you learn something new everyday
    #freerick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have not seen it myself .
    Einstein, disguised as Robin Hood,With his memories in a trunk
    Passed this way an hour ago,With his friend, a jealous monk

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

St. Patrick means nothing to most young Irish people never mind Irish American kids generations removed from the Oul Sod who know next to nothing about Roman Catholicism and Irish nationalism.

It's just an excuse to party, drink and have fun.

Most young Irish people grow up on a diet of American movies, tv shows and music.
    Any artistic or cultural output in this country imitates American versions and most Irish filmmakers, novelists, actors, comedians, artists and pop stars seek to break into the American market.
    Irish music, dance, poetry, folklore, art, dress and language that distinguished the Irish race barely survives.
    GAA tries to imitate international rugby and soccer sports bodies and a trip to Croke Park for the All-Ireland is like Super Bowl Sunday.
    Other than our accent our culture becoming increasingly indistinguishable from any other country in the English speaking world.

It will soon be a century since 1916, the War of Independence and Civil War.

They have no perceived relevance to many young people in the 21st century.

Many young kids in America similarly probably don't know or couldn't care less about Yorktown, Gettysburg, Iwo Jima or Hue or how many stripes and stars are on the US flag. For an 18-21 year old kid today 9/11 and the Iraq War is already ancient history.

St. Patrick is so far off in the mists of time his traditional image in a bishop hat and green cloak is about as realistic as that of an Irish fairy with buckled shoes.

Does it matter then if he is called Patty by ill informed drunken people?

Nobody likes a bore who puts people to sleep correcting how wrong they are about pedantic details.
    Last edited by Hitch 22; 13th March 2013 at 03:13 AM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast