Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: UK - Petrol price war

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default UK - Petrol price war

This is interesting...
    Supermarkets reduce fuel prices - Independent.ie

Large interest parties such as Sainsburys are finally realizing that consumers have less to spend in their stores due to the over inflation of petrol prices. I really hope we see similiar situation here. My disposable income is wiped out by petrol as I commute.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah yes....there is one large UK multiple...and when you type it's name into a search engine followed by the word "fuel" you get the word "problems" coming up automatically.

At this point Irish defamation law kicks in and I cannot warn fellow consumers anymore.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

they already have

Tescos opened a fuel forecourt a few years ago in my neck of the woods - and brought down the prices of all the other operators and they are all now in a cent or two of each other - Tesco also run regular promotions where you can get 5-10 cent a litre off with x amount spent on groceries.

the other side is that they will run it as a loss leader and drive other competitors out of business - there is feck all margin on it for the retailers - its mostly tax and the rest goes to the refiners - same as UK

careful what you wish for - but the bottom line is that fuel is going to stay expensive and in the long run increase in price
    A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman thinks of the next generation. - James Freeman Clarke

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As Ed said the margins on petrol/diesel for the retailer are piffling. The only way to see real sustainable price drops is either to lower tax or a price collapse in oil which is unlikely. I found with Tesco here that they were good at first, probably selling at a slight loss, but now are only a cent or two cheaper if even that.

If it is left to retailers the only price drops will be by a couple of cent, they don't have the margin to play with. A few cent (less than 5) per litre is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are problems with one supermarket chain providing fuel, and the engine.

anybody looking for cheap fuel, should do some research with mechanics, to get an opinion of the side effects.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Quote Originally Posted by b.a. baracus View Post
    As Ed said the margins on petrol/diesel for the retailer are piffling. The only way to see real sustainable price drops is either to lower tax or a price collapse in oil which is unlikely. I found with Tesco here that they were good at first, probably selling at a slight loss, but now are only a cent or two cheaper if even that.

If it is left to retailers the only price drops will be by a couple of cent, they don't have the margin to play with. A few cent (less than 5) per litre is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.
    Refineries are also going out of business because of tiny margins, Europe has lost a quarter of its refineries in the last five years.

Any tax cuts will have to be made up elsewhere and oil is more expensive to produce these days as all of the easy (cheap) to access oil is now burnt.
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.