Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: St. Patrick Day 2013.

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default St. Patrick Day 2013.

So, it's that time of year when we celebrate everything Irish and Oirish.. Usually with drink... One of things I really don't miss is St. Patrick's day in Dublin... Last time I was there the streets in and around O'Connell Street were literally strewn with teenagers crashed out at 4 of clock in the afternoon...

Anyway, enough of that. As part of the celebration I thought I'd bring you some of the worst screen Irish accents ever... The ones that make you cringe inside.. You know the ones Far and Away for example.. Here's some more... Enjoy the weekend and be good you crazy kids...

You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unfortunately....for some peculiar reason.....the actual act of "celebrating" your Irishness results in many Irish people becomming absolute gobsh!tes for a day.

It may as well be termed "gobsh!te day above and beyond the call of necessity" Day. The behavioural problems of Irish people, when expressing their "pride".....not exactly something to be "proud" of....in fact it is the biggest cringe of the calendar in most years.

Does this tell us something about the prevalent psyche or the prevalent (media encouraged) set of mores that he ascribe to being Irish ?

Something ugly/immature/disrespectful/stupid perhaps ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm going to simply try to enjoy it. Go to a nice place, have a few beers in good company, maybe see some Irish dancing, hear a few traditional airs/songs and then go home having had a pleasant day. What I'm going to try not to be is a moaning old, grumpy fart intent on getting even older before my time.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Unfortunately....for some peculiar reason.....the actual act of "celebrating" your Irishness results in many Irish people becomming absolute gobsh!tes for a day.

It may as well be termed "gobsh!te day above and beyond the call of necessity" Day. The behavioural problems of Irish people, when expressing their "pride".....not exactly something to be "proud" of....in fact it is the biggest cringe of the calendar in most years.

Does this tell us something about the prevalent psyche or the prevalent (media encouraged) set of mores that he ascribe to being Irish ?

Something ugly/immature/disrespectful/stupid perhaps ?
    You are not wrong except prehaps for the words "for a day" in the first sentence. Its every day for all too many people. Putting it down to the media is stretching things. Some of our citizens are just a bit dim and not from reading The Irish Times either.

I blame the teachers myself.
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post
    So, it's that time of year when we celebrate everything Irish and Oirish.. Usually with drink... One of things I really don't miss is St. Patrick's day in Dublin... Last time I was there the streets in and around O'Connell Street were literally strewn with teenagers crashed out at 4 of clock in the afternoon...

Anyway, enough of that. As part of the celebration I thought I'd bring you some of the worst screen Irish accents ever... The ones that make you cringe inside.. You know the ones Far and Away for example.. Here's some more... Enjoy the weekend and be good you crazy kids...

Isn't being drunks part of our culture though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post

What a low opinion you have of the nation, dweeb

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    You are not wrong except prehaps for the words "for a day" in the first sentence. Its every day for all too many people. Putting it down to the media is stretching things. Some of our citizens are just a bit dim and not from reading The Irish Times either.
    I am not blaming teachers. I reckon teachers do as much as they can get away with in this country, to set people on the right path.

I reckon it is a form of groupthink conditioning. At it's root is a strong element of intellectual laziness. Too lazy to think. Instead stick in a comfort zone where the brain can be stuck in neutral and follow the crowd.

Instead the tendency to "go with the flow" even if the flow is going in a reckless and dangerous way. Something to do with the behaviour of crowds, and a tendency towards a lemming type excitement from being part of the movement of the crowd. Or maybe just a courage deficiency, and seeking reassurance from the crowd.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member julieandrews's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Worst Irish accent in a film has got to be Tommy Lee Jones in Blown Away. Absolutely appalling!!

As for Paddys day, I will be avoiding pubs and any stereotypical Oirish stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Politics matters View Post
    Isn't being drunks part of our culture though?
    Yes, if you're an American stereotype.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eire1976 View Post
    What a low opinion you have of the nation, dweeb
    How did you work that out there Tonto?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast