Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More football related violence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default More football related violence

I see that the trouble which Linfield fans caused in Dublin when they played Shamrock Rovers was reciprocated when rovers came to Belfast last night. It'll be interesting to see if any of the rovers fans arrested end up having Belfast accents. For once, it looks like Linfield fans weren't really involved, although I'm sure neither side were singing hymns.
    The reality is that such a fixture is a magnet for anyone who wants a bit of trouble. Surely both clubs could restrict the selling of tickets to those who are club members/season ticket holders that way, at least they have the threat of a ban from the ground and they don't get those just wanting to start trouble.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been going to Rovers games for years and never heard any sectarian chanting. They have a small hooligan element.

Linfield have plenty of previous for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    I've been going to Rovers games for years and never heard any sectarian chanting. They have a small hooligan element.

I did state that I wouldn't be surprised if some of the rovers fans had Belfast accents. The reality is that a lot of football fans will sing & chant whatever will wind up the opposition supporters & if you're playing Linfield then it's is easy to figure out what sort of chants would work. Newspaper reports imply that one side was as bad as the other on the issue of sectarian chanting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post

They have more than a small hooligan element.

Tallaght is the only ground in the LOI where I don't feel safe bringing my children.

However, a Shams fan who I know well said that the violence was caused by Celtic fans from Belfast who infiltrated their section.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I watched the game last night; there were a lot of Celtic inspired chants coming from the Rovers section, and a few massive tricolours, but the accents sounded strongly from Dublin.

A few flairs were thrown, but didn't seem anything major. Rovers won handily in any event.

By the way, Windsor Park is an absolute sh*tehole, I hope they're redeveloping the place, because it's a disgrace that such a ground could function as a national stadium for any developed country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glaucon View Post
    By the way, Windsor Park is an absolute sh*tehole, I hope they're redeveloping the place, because it's a disgrace that such a ground could function as a national stadium for any developed country.
    They sure are.

Windsor Park revamp plans backed - Independent.ie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Yip, big money being spent on the 3 main stadia. Looks like Casement park will be pretty impressive with 40,000 all seater, Windsor park redevelopment and Ravers getting 3 new stands to bring capacity to 18,000. Good for sport in the north.

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devonish View Post
    I see that the trouble which Linfield fans caused in Dublin when they played Shamrock Rovers was reciprocated when rovers came to Belfast last night. It'll be interesting to see if any of the rovers fans arrested end up having Belfast accents. For once, it looks like Linfield fans weren't really involved, although I'm sure neither side were singing hymns.
    The reality is that such a fixture is a magnet for anyone who wants a bit of trouble. Surely both clubs could restrict the selling of tickets to those who are club members/season ticket holders that way, at least they have the threat of a ban from the ground and they don't get those just wanting to start trouble.
    Rovers and Linfield fans are not a great mix. Both have mad elements.

Rovers fans once kicked off at the Brandywell, ripping off chairs, wooden beams, you name it. Fek'n mad Dubs! I was born/lived in that area, thank fk we got out to the safety of the troubles.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    They have more than a small hooligan element.

Tallaght is the only ground in the LOI where I don't feel safe bringing my children.

However, a Shams fan who I know well said that the violence was caused by Celtic fans from Belfast who infiltrated their section.
    I went there for the Boh-Rovers derby last season, great atmosphere didnt feel intimidated at all.
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InsideImDancing View Post
    Rovers and Linfield fans are not a great mix. Both have mad elements.

Rovers fans once kicked off at the Brandywell, ripping off chairs, wooden beams, you name it. Fek'n mad Dubs! I was born/lived in that area, thank fk we got out to the safety of the troubles.
    Was in the Brandywell once, went up with a mate, a pre season friendly against Spurs back about 88/89. Seemed like a nice setup.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast