Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is religious instruction being allowed to take away from teaching of other subjects at primary level?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why is religious instruction being allowed to take away from teaching of other subjects at primary level?

Preparing pupils for sacraments eating into class time - Independent.ie
    Teachers are supposed to devote just half-an-hour a day, or a total of two-and-a-half hours a week, to religion.

However, a survey of 363 primary teachers by the Irish National Teachers' Organisation (INTO) has found that most are exceeding this allocation.
    I cannot for the life of me understand why it should take more than two-and-a-half hours a week to teach the sacraments to Catholic children. After all, it is in plain English.

Besides, failing to remember a prayer correctly is not as serious as not been able to read, write and do basic maths properly and, therefore, parents and boards of management are unlikely to be hung up about it. Therefore, there is no need for primary teachers to exceed the two-and-a-half-hour limit.

PS: This is not about the issue of whether or not religious instruction should be moved out of school hours, which has already been done to death.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Strange alright.

Maybe some kids have trouble with their tongues.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is a terrible waste of class time. Moreover it has to undermine the relationship of trust between teacher and student. It's hard to take them seriously when they try to teach fiction as fact. I remember the risible explanations given web questions were asked when I was a child. If parents want to teach religion to their children let them do it privately. I can't imagine too many patents are happy with the amount of class time wasted on this. Separate church and state.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suspect it has more to do with teachers not being able to object in case they get their 'name taken at HQ' and can forget a head teacher role on some unapproved list at the Bishop's office.

Teacher training at primary level is the last bastion of power of the church in Irish society and I have to say that teachers are right to be afraid of being an 'unapproved' sort of person in the eyes of the church.

So really the catholic school ethos is determined by the bishop's office and head teachers who object to so much time being spent on this stuff at the expense of something practical have to be wary of an organisation with a long reach across their careers.

Which is where the Department of Education comes in- and Mr Quinn would do well to get off his arse on this subject and remove teacher training from what is effectively church control. Soon as that is done it will be safe for teachers and headmasters to re-arrange the curriculum toward something less ridiculous without fear of the telephoned reprisal.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    I suspect it has more to do with teachers not being able to object in case they get their 'name taken at HQ' and can forget a head teacher role on some unapproved list at the Bishop's office.

Teacher training at primary level is the last bastion of power of the church in Irish society and I have to say that teachers are right to be afraid of being an 'unapproved' sort of person in the eyes of the church.

So really the catholic school ethos is determined by the bishop's office and head teachers who object to so much time being spent on this stuff at the expense of something practical have to be wary of an organisation with a long reach across their careers.

Which is where the Department of Education comes in- and Mr Quinn would do well to get off his arse on this subject and remove teacher training from what is effectively church control. Soon as that is done it will be safe for teachers and headmasters to re-arrange the curriculum toward something less ridiculous without fear of the telephoned reprisal.
    Training teachers the Catholic way - Education News | Primary, Secondary & Third Level | The Irish Time - Tue, Apr 24, 2012

Nows , now , that won't do at all.
    “Les cons, ça ose tout, c’est même à ça qu’on les reconnaît.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Any chance you'd fix the 'been' to 'being' in the header?
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post

What's it like there back in the 50s . . ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post

Any chance you'd fix the 'been' to 'being' in the header?
    Only at the OP's request.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Only at the OP's request.
    Only at the teacher's request?
    “Les cons, ça ose tout, c’est même à ça qu’on les reconnaît.”

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast