Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Man in wheelchair barred from club

Politics.ie Member Little_Korean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Man in wheelchair barred from club

Dublin nightclub apologises ‘unreservedly’ for treatment of wheelchair user

A NIGHTCLUB in central Dublin has issued an ‘unreserved’ apology after refusing admission to a wheelchair user on Saturday night.

Madison nightclub on Wicklow Street made the apology after a complaint posted to Facebook by Graham Bolger, who claimed he had been turned away from the nightclub on the grounds that he was in a wheelchair.

“That was just the start of my 45 minute ordeal of extreme discrimination at the hands of their staff,” he said.
    As the club in question is only accessible down a flight of stairs, I do have to wonder what Bolger thought he was going to achieve in the first place. Have the bouncers carry him down?

And 45 minutes? It didn't occur to him to find another club?

Seems he's gotten a large facebook campaign behind him:

Bolger posted a photograph, showing him outside the nightclub, to his personal Facebook profile – and to the nightclub’s own Facebook page, where it had gathered almost 50,000 ‘Likes’ from other users in 16 hours.

The massive response, and shows of support from other users criticising the alleged behaviour of the staff, prompted the club to issue a Facebook statement of its own about four hours later.
    I shudder to think we're in a world where one's job hangs in the balance of facebook users who know nothing about the incident involved besides what one side in the issue has told them.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the doorman in question “was with us from an outside agency for the last four weeks” and had been “dismissed with immediate effect”.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

According to another bouncer at the door, your man in the wheelchair was refused entry because he was acting the pr1ck and was too drunk, and not because he was in a chair.

Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Dylan2010

there was a big thread on Boards about this. I feel sorry for the security guy who was only doing his job and ended up being fired. its up to management to have had a policy in place, I gather there was a street level part he could have been let into. Otherwise people should just be reasonable and accept that certain older buildings arent safe for certain people. What would happen in the event of a fire?

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Korean View Post
    As the club in question is only accessible down a flight of stairs, I do have to wonder what Bolger thought he was going to achieve in the first place. Have the bouncers carry him down?
    I don't see any stairs. Is it inside?

Politics.ie Member Little_Korean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    I don't see any stairs. Is it inside?

Yeah, inside the door, down into the basement area.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The lad in the wheelchair was totally acting the maggot. I have two siblings in wheelchairs and my Brother said to me a long time ago "a baxterd is a baxterd whether they are disabled or not".
    No a la vista, no en mente!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    there was a big thread on Boards about this. I feel sorry for the security guy who was only doing his job and ended up being fired. its up to management to have had a policy in place, I gather there was a street level part he could have been let into. Otherwise people should just be reasonable and accept that certain older buildings arent safe for certain people. What would happen in the event of a fire?
    Its illegal to discriminate against a person because of there disability, so thats out!!!
    Last edited by USER1234; 11th March 2013 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Something in the human condition has to put people down, like this poor man. Shame.
    Save the 27th

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USER1234 View Post
    Its illegal to discriminate against a person because of his disability, so thats out!!!
    It is, but the guy was barred because he was allegedly drunk and acting up, not because he was disabled.

But never mind, the mob got a man fired, so that's okay so.....
    Last edited by Astral Peaks; 11th March 2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Accuracy
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast