Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 639

Thread: 14 days in March.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member mindgames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default 14 days in March.

    In 14 Days, a BBC1 documentary broadcast Tuesday night which traces the events that were part of a violent and traumatic sequence 25 years ago, he revealed the blood of one of the soldiers splashed an envelope he was carrying. In it was one of a series of messages from republicans to the nationalist politician John Hume which are credited with helping bring about the IRA’s eventual ceasefire. The priest changed the blood-stained envelope and delivered the message.
    Father Alec Reid reveals how he tried to save two British soldiers killed in one of the most shocking episodes of the Troubles - Home News - UK - The Independent

    The events began with the SAS killings in Gibraltar of three IRA members who were intent on blowing up a British army band. As their funerals were taking place in Belfast, a loyalist gunman Michael Stone attacked mourners, killing three of them.

    During the funeral of one of those three, two plainclothes soldiers in an unmarked car drove into the cortege. There they were surrounded by republicans, dragged from their car, beaten and partially stripped.

    In an intense and emotional interview, Fr Reid recalled seeing the soldiers being taken from their car and dragged to a sports ground. He said: “They put the two of them face down on the ground and I got down between the two of them on my face, and I had my arm around this one and I was holding this one by the shoulder.

    Fourteen Days by DoubleBand Films is on BBC One on Monday at 9pm.

    Was 19 years old when all of the above happened,remember a sense of total helplessness and revulsion as the pictures where streamed into our televisions.Will be interesting to see how I feel now watching this over 25 years later.Hopefully I have not become desensitized with all the madness we have witnessed over the years on our televisions.
    Search it out for yourself and then work out the reasoning petunia

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,701
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    These two SAS knew the rules of the game. They were very quick to shoot the Gib three but when the shoe is on the other foot the wailing is deafening.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member cillian32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Tough ************************e.....like what Levellers said those scum had it coming....shooting unarmed people will get a similar response.
    IRELAND FIRST

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member vivabrigada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    20,276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cillian32 View Post
    Tough ************************e.....like what Levellers said those scum had it coming....shooting unarmed people will get a similar response.
    Some of those who surrounded the two British soldiers got jailed. I'm not trying to wind anyone up, and, I know they were killed in brutal circumstances, but I believe those who confronted the soldiers deserved bravery awards, especially after they returned to the car after one of the soldiers fired his weapon. The same can be said of those who chased and caught Michael Stone a few days earlier.
    Traumatic times. I can still feel the rawness of it.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member cillian32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vivabrigada View Post
    Some of those who surrounded the two British soldiers got jailed. I'm not trying to wind anyone up, and, I know they were killed in brutal circumstances, but I believe those who confronted the soldiers deserved bravery awards, especially after they returned to the car after one of the soldiers fired his weapon. The same can be said of those who chased and caught Michael Stone a few days earlier.
    Traumatic times. I can still feel the rawness of it.
    The only people looking for trouble that day were the soldiers .....they found it....boo feckin hoo....Ive had loyalists on here tell me the IRA were terrorists because they didnt wear uniforms....well these two were in civies .....Dirty war ,dirty results.
    IRELAND FIRST

  6. #6
    Johnny Boy
    Guest

    Default

    Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Executing people in cold blood is always horrendously wrong.
    I was in Japan shortly after that and was at a function in Tokyo, attended by ex-pats from around the world aqs well as native Japanese, and found myself at the centre of some unwelcome attention there, because of all the footage of all three events in that barbaric sequence, which went around the world. Quite apart from the pure inhumanity of it all, to be honest I felt mortified that I was even being seen to be associated with such depravity, or being asked to explain it, albeit purely by coming from here.
    You've only got to look at the barbarity in Syria, or this week in Nigeria, to understand the negative perceptions of your people when some of your number behave in such a way. Anyone who enjoys having their people portrayed around the world as barbarians really hasn't got a clue.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member vivabrigada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    20,276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Executing people in cold blood is always horrendously wrong.
    I was in Japan shortly after that and was at a function in Tokyo, attended by ex-pats from around the world aqs well as native Japanese, and found myself at the centre of some unwelcome attention there, because of all the footage of all three events in that barbaric sequence, which went around the world. Quite apart from the pure inhumanity of it all, to be honest I felt mortified that I was even being seen to be associated with such depravity, or being asked to explain it, albeit purely by coming from here.


    You've only got to look at the barbarity in Syria, or this week in Nigeria, to understand the negative perceptions of your people when some of your number behave in such a way. Anyone who enjoys having their people portrayed around the world as barbarians really hasn't got a clue.
    Nationalists and Republicans were wrongly demonised after the incident with the two soldiers. They were acting in self defence as anyone would be entitled to do. Remember, this was just a few days after Stone launched his attack.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vivabrigada View Post
    Some of those who surrounded the two British soldiers got jailed. I'm not trying to wind anyone up, and, I know they were killed in brutal circumstances, but I believe those who confronted the soldiers deserved bravery awards, especially after they returned to the car after one of the soldiers fired his weapon. The same can be said of those who chased and caught Michael Stone a few days earlier.
    Traumatic times. I can still feel the rawness of it.
    Those involved in this incident should still be hunted down and receive the same treatment .

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member cillian32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinoboy View Post
    Those involved in this incident should still be hunted down and receive the same treatment .
    Off ye go big man
    IRELAND FIRST

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    These two SAS knew the rules of the game. They were very quick to shoot the Gib three but when the shoe is on the other foot the wailing is deafening.
    Well stop yapping for non stop enquiries .

Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •