Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our Top 300 is worth more than Ecuador!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Our Top 300 is worth more than Ecuador!

Fellow P.iers, ye won't need to check out the link below to know from which national Sunday broadsheet the above Fascinating Factoid has oozed, sorry, originated.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-wealth. But this extolling of its supposed virtues, as if the related benefits weren't enough (not to mention the implied insult to 15 million Ecuadoreans) is not something that I can identify with and I doubt I'll ever feel the need to.

Apart from the Collison brothers, much of this Top 300 looks like old, inherited or speculative wealth. I think I'll find the Ecuadoreans somewhat more interesting, gracias.

Ireland's top 300 richer than Ecuador - Independent.ie

Mods, I've put this in Media since, for me, the issue for discussion is the Sindo's treatment of the story. Disagree and move if required.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Ramps

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    Fellow P.iers, ye won't need to check out the link below to know from which national Sunday broadsheet the above Fascinating Factoid has oozed, sorry, originated.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-wealth. But this extolling of its supposed virtues, as if the related benefits weren't enough (not to mention the implied insult to 15 million Ecuadoreans) is not something that I can identify with and I doubt I'll ever feel the need to.

Apart from the Collison brothers, much of this Top 300 looks like old, inherited or speculative wealth. I think I'll find the Ecuadoreans somewhat more interesting, gracias.

Mods, I've put this in Media since, for me, the issue for discussion is the Sindo's treatment of the story. Disagree and move if required.
    Sorry, but what's the problem? Very straight forward article, it seems to me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Sorry, but what's the problem? Very straight forward article, it seems to me...
    It's the gross over-simplification. The 66bn they refer to isn't real, tangible wealth. Much of it is based on share prices which can soar or plummet depending on the vagaries of the market. Come back in a year's time and that 66bn could be 40 bn or 110bn without any one of Our Top 300 having lifted so much as a finger.

Compare this with the Ecuadorean economy which will probably be worth slightly more than 66bn euros. It's the sort of self-inflated mindset that got us into our current difficulties.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was flicking through the supplement making notes and I am already putting the death squads together.

Ramps

The 66bn they refer to isn't real, tangible wealth. Much of it is based on share prices which can soar or plummet depending on the vagaries of the market.
    Not strictly true, but anyway...

Come back in a year's time and that 66bn could be 40 bn or 110bn without any one of Our Top 300 having lifted so much as a finger.
    Depends what you mean by lifting a finger...but anyway.

Compare this with the Ecuadorean economy which will probably be worth slightly more than 66bn euros.
    It could, but the article is about the situation today!

It's the sort of self-inflated mindset that got us into our current difficulties.
    That's the part I don't get. How would publishing the wealth of private individuals get us 'into' anything?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

While the article has a breathy somewhat Celtic Tigerish tone to it, it's just a statement of fact. The wealth of three hundred wealthy people from any country is always going to total to some serious wonga.

If you look at the Forbes list of the richest people in the World, you only need to total the top five to have more than the Irish GDP.

The Richest People in America List- Forbes

And FF/FG/LP try to tell us that there is no wealth to tax! A 1% tax on these 300 alone would raise €660 million, much more than the FFamily home tax.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivalOfAction View Post
    And FF/FG/LP try to tell us that there is no wealth to tax! A 1% tax on these 300 alone would raise €660 million, much more than the FFamily home tax.
    Why not make it 20% when you're at it? Might as well make the most of a one-off grab? By next year, they'll be gone due to your policies and no other high net worth individuals would even think twice about this country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A common misconception.

They have compare wealth with income which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CarnivalOfAction View Post
    How many are resident in Ireland . . . .
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast