Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 65

Thread: damning indictment of senior civil service

  1. #1
    birthday
    Guest

    Default damning indictment of senior civil service

    http://www.independent.ie/civil-serv...s-before-state


    Civil service 'putting own privileges before State'

    Maurice Hayes suggests 'self-inflicted wound' of low status.

    We do not get this type of comment very often, we should listen.

    Telling it as it is? Or will he be accused of jealousy or getting back at former colleagues.

    The article states that he knocks the decison to remove public sector pay "from democratic scrutiny and debate by the elected legislature'' in order to hand it over "to the social partnership, including such bizarre groups as Superiors of Religious Orders''.

    What would Dermot McCarthy have to say?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Volatire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12,503
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Senior Civil Servants used to be the main line of defense against the gombeen showers that the Irish electorate return so reliably after each election. At some point during the Ahern era, policy scrutiny and oversight were replaced by arrogance and an obsession with status.

    Hayes puts his finger on this moral and intellectual decay.

    Excessive pay and perks had a corrosive effect on senior civil servants. It may have been hard for poorly educated inbreds at the top of the Civil Service to comprehend the complexities of the modern world. For the Patrick Nearys of this world, it was easier to focus on fattening up their personal pension provisions than to investigate the stability of the financial system.

    Of course, our gombeen politcial class is probably incapable of cleaning the Augean stables.

  3. #3
    birthday
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volatire View Post
    Senior Civil Servants used to be the main line of defense against the gombeen showers that the Irish electorate return so reliably after each election. At some point during the Ahern era, policy scrutiny and oversight were replaced by arrogance and an obsession with status.

    Hayes puts his finger on this moral and intellectual decay.

    Excessive pay and perks had a corrosive effect on senior civil servants. It may have been hard for poorly educated inbreds at the top of the Civil Service to comprehend the complexities of the modern world. For the Patrick Nearys of this world, it was easier to focus on fattening up their personal pension provisions than to investigate the stability of the financial system.

    Of course, our gombeen politcial class is probably incapable of cleaning the Augean stables.
    I would agree with you that this seems to have arisen at some stage during the Ahern era.

    Was this because certain character types tended to be promoted to higher grades?

    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&...43287494,d.ZG4

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Devil Eire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by birthday View Post
    I would agree with you that this seems to have arisen at some stage during the Ahern era.
    I suggest that history has not yet BEGUN to comprehend the long term damage that Bertie Ahern has done to this country. The few grubby shillings he 'won on the horses' is in the halpenny place, a mere distraction.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member neiphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    5,512
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    the irish independent

    how much is the irish taxpayer paying to bail out that rag ?
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member neiphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    5,512
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    dont they have a weekly article lambasting the ps
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    22,720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by birthday View Post
    http://www.independent.ie/civil-serv...s-before-state


    Civil service 'putting own privileges before State'

    Maurice Hayes suggests 'self-inflicted wound' of low status.

    We do not get this type of comment very often, we should listen.
    We do not get this type of comment very often, we should listen....

    On the contrary, rarely does a Sunday go by that we do NOT get "this type of comment" in the Sindo.

    It is always good for a "Aren't Civil Servants Awful?" article..

    Let us recall Jody Corcoran and his article assuring us that civil servants were "inherently dysfunctional people".....and Eoghan Harris heaping opprobrium on their heads.....and Eilis O'Hanlon....

    No, we get plenty of this type of comment from certain quarters...favourite passtime, in fact..

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volatire View Post
    Excessive pay and perks had a corrosive effect on senior civil servants. It may have been hard for poorly educated inbreds at the top of the Civil Service to comprehend the complexities of the modern world. For the Patrick Nearys of this world, it was easier to focus on fattening up their personal pension provisions than to investigate the stability of the financial system.

    Of course, our gombeen politcial class is probably incapable of cleaning the Augean stables.
    g the Augean stables.
    I wouldn't disagree with the idea that people in the civil service should have offered stiffer resistance to what was being allowed, by default, by politicians and regulators during the boom years; but how does the sentence in bold contribute to a reasoned or even reasonable discussion?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volatire View Post
    Senior Civil Servants used to be the main line of defense against the gombeen showers that the Irish electorate return so reliably after each election. At some point during the Ahern era, policy scrutiny and oversight were replaced by arrogance and an obsession with status.

    Hayes puts his finger on this moral and intellectual decay.

    Excessive pay and perks had a corrosive effect on senior civil servants. It may have been hard for poorly educated inbreds at the top of the Civil Service to comprehend the complexities of the modern world. For the Patrick Nearys of this world, it was easier to focus on fattening up their personal pension provisions than to investigate the stability of the financial system.

    Of course, our gombeen politcial class is probably incapable of cleaning the Augean stables.
    You're missing the point, the senior civil service nowadays are all political appointee's, Patrick Neary being a prime example, a man that was carefully chosen by Ahern specifically to turn a blind eye to Anglo and the banking and property shenanigans. If a traditional conservative and cautious public servant had held the role, things might have been very different today.

    Instead, we went from this :




    to this :



    with the inevitable consequences
    Last edited by Zerubbabel; 11th March 2013 at 12:05 AM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •