Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Britsh establishment take on Northern Ireland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Britsh establishment take on Northern Ireland

Interesting link from today's Irish Times ....
    This is an extract of a briefing document prepared by a senior civil servant for James Callaghan .Quite insightful , would you agree
    Archive reveals senior British civil servant's frank view of Northern Ireland - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Sat, Mar 09, 2013
    The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A bang on the money analysis, really:

“For 700 years the English in their folly sought to govern the Irish and employed every method including, alas, the plantation of colonists to achieve their aim. When they grew weary of ill-doing and decided towards the end of the 19th century to leave the Irish to their own devices their Scots-Calvinist colonists shouted, ‘Hey, what about us?’ ”
    He said the North was a “tribal society and the two tribes” trusted “each other about as well as dog and cat, Arab and Jew, Greek and Turkish Cypriot.”
    “in fear of domination by the South unionists took care to dominate the North”, with the British government perpetuating a “most unBritish-style injustice towards the Catholic minority”.
    He described the B Specials as the RUC’s “paramilitary strong-arm squad” and wrote of how “two Paisleyites have won seats to that disgrace to democracy, the Belfast Corporation”, now Belfast City Council.
    Makes you wonder how Westminster could have proven so inept in dealing with Northern Ireland's problems later on and why it took them so long to prorogue that shameful stain on British democracy, the old Stormont.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nice editing Glaucon

But the minority, though perhaps more sinned against than sinning, has been far from blameless . . . In true Irish fashion the Micks have enjoyed provoking the Prods as much as the Prods have enjoyed retaliating.
    “Catholic attitudes have been at best ambivalent and at worst treacherous
    Still happy That it is a bang on the money analysis? petunia

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Nice editing Glaucon

Still happy That it is a bang on the money analysis? petunia
    Yes. I think there is a large measure of truth in the portion you quoted; Nationalists/Catholics were oppressed under the Northern régime, but were not blameless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It all seems fairly astute , if uncharitable .analysis

Westminster did seem always to send unsuitable people to NI , who could manage to alienate all parties.
    The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glaucon View Post
    Nationalists/Catholics were oppressed under the Northern régime, but were not blameless.
    I would agree with that also. I've said it hundreds of times. Both sides were culpable in bringing about "the troubles".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swords Hoopster View Post
    I would agree with that also. I've said it hundreds of times. Both sides were culpable in bringing about "the troubles".
    Ahh no. The pira death squads were wholly responsible for their murder campaign. No one else
    Even with the usual caveats attached to opinion polls, a 65% to 17% majority for Northern Ireland remaining in the UK suggests little room for doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post
    Ahh no. The pira death squads were wholly responsible for their murder campaign. No one else
    Correct. And when they stopped their murder campaign....hey presto......'troubles' over.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post
    Yep. And you'll have Global Justice telling me it was entirely your sides fault.

I believe its called "themmuns Syndrome"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swords Hoopster View Post
    Yep. And you'll have Global Justice telling me it was entirely your sides fault.

I believe its called "themmuns Syndrome"
    Ah, no. Just common sense.
    Even with the usual caveats attached to opinion polls, a 65% to 17% majority for Northern Ireland remaining in the UK suggests little room for doubt.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast