Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minister Quinn and Political Donations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Minister Quinn and Political Donations

Interesting piece today in the Irish Times about Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn's comments at a book launch. Minister Quinn was unhappy that a recent appointment to a State board by him, where the appointee had made a small donation to his election campaign, was seen as perhaps “ergo he has bought his place on the board”. He suggested that the “politically correct” presumption that if you get a political donation “you are inevitably corrupted” should be challenged.

I thought it interesting that Michael Noonan, as Fine Gael leader, banned corporate donations in 2001 as he believed financial support from business to politicians is perceived by the public to have one purpose - securing commercial advantage. Mr Kenny reversed this policy.

Has the pendulum (as Ruairi put it) swung to a certain point and should it be rebalanced to a certain position?

Quinn criticises notion that donations corrupt - Oireachtas News Updates | The Irish Times - Thu, Mar 07, 2013
    Quinn appoints five members of public to boards - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Mon, Mar 04, 2013
    State board appointments 'not fair' - RTÉ News
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't see why basic abc rules shouldn't apply to politics. If in negotiation for a contract and I "donate" towards the person offering the tender then my compliance people will be all over me and his people should be all over him.

All situations described by Quinn aren't corrupt. They do all carry an inherent appearance of impropriety which should be avoided.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By not appointing someone who financially donated to his election campaign he would surely have avoided "an inherent appearance of impropriety"?
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Well yes, or(a more realistic option for this sort of incident) a complete return of all donations prior to interviewing for the role.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    By not appointing someone who financially donated to his election campaign he would surely have avoided "an inherent appearance of impropriety"?
    If you uncovered a secret donation it would have 'an inherent appearance of impropriety'. Do you not think that making donations public information removes it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUnited View Post
    If you uncovered a secret donation it would have 'an inherent appearance of impropriety'. Do you not think that making donations public information removes it?
    No. Would e.g. the Ministers appointment have been appointed if they'd never met?

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting piece today in the Irish Times about Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn's comments at a book launch. Minister Quinn was unhappy that a recent appointment to a State board by him, where the appointee had made a small donation to his election campaign, was seen as perhaps “ergo he has bought his place on the board”. He suggested that the “politically correct” presumption that if you get a political donation “you are inevitably corrupted” should be challenged.
    Yes, Quinn has gone for a novel approach, in taking people head on for having the audacity to assume the first thought that comes to mind.

It is as if Quinn is a victim, in all of this. Poor Ruairi Spin. He was going to appoint somebody to a state job, and then it happened that the appointee happened to donate money to his election.

Fascinating the way that Looper Party HQ assume that people are to be treated like children.

The same mentality as fibbing to get elected.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Well yes, or(a more realistic option for this sort of incident) a complete return of all donations prior to interviewing for the role.
    But he'd already been elected by then, having the advantage of the donation. Surely in this instance it would be proper for any politician to simply not appoint a party member or financial donator?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Making small donations to Political campaigns is how some people support Politics. In the case of the person refferred to I undestand that he made a donation of E600 fully declared to one RQ campaign a few years ago. Given that Minister Quinn has been an elected Public Rep since 1974and has run in numerous campaigns that had to be paid for I doubt if that donation represented any sort of significant figure. though I guess f you want to find a conspiracy you will always find one where none exists

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No. Would e.g. the Ministers appointment have been appointed if they'd never met?
    Probably, if he was the best for the job.
    It's a tricky one though. You could ban all donations and have the state fund parties, but that is undemocratic.
    People have the right to participate in the democratic process any way they can, or want to.For example, I couldn't vote for a candidate in the last election, so I donated a few quid to his campaign fund. Should properly qualified people be excluded from jobs for exercising their democratic rights? Having the information on who donated what seems like a good solution.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast