Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Ulster Scots a language ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is Ulster Scots a language ?

BBC - Ulster-Scots - Learn Ulster-Scots : Lesson 7, Nouns and Names

I lifted the above from another post in here . It's essentially an example of translations from Ulster Sots to the English language. On looking at this it does seem that most of the Ulster Scots words are simply either regional slants on English spoken words or quirky Ulsterisms for items or objects.

For example I note that a cinema is a Picter hoose, that an ear is a lug and that a head is a heid.

So that got me thinking ( a dangerous but thankfully infrequent thing) is the Ulster Scots actually a language? I know we have some good language intellectual's knocking around here and would lbe interested in their views.
    #3amigos

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nay

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes.
    /thread.
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWelshCelt View Post
    Yes.
    /thread.

Isn't it just a version of drunken Glaswegian?

Politics.ie Member the secretary's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Head is 'heed'

Lots of people in Donegal right up in as far as Letterkenny used Ulster Scots terms in their everyday conversation.
    There is an Ulster Scots heritage center in Donegal. There is even a monthly newspaper

Politics.ie Member gracethepirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eire1976 View Post
    Isn't it just a version of drunken Glaswegian?
    Newton Emerson says it is just an accent, and has lampooned Ulster Scots mercilessly.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Some people have said it was invented because of jealousy that the Nationalists had their own language.
    Last edited by gracethepirate; 9th March 2013 at 10:39 PM.
    Brexit comes straight from hell. Everywhere it goes it causes disharmony, turbulence and misery. I think Brexiteers themselves must have some form of mental illness.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the secretary View Post
    Head is 'heed'

Lots of people in Donegal right up in as far as Letterkenny used Ulster Scots terms in their everyday conversation.
    There is an Ulster Scots heritage center in Donegal. There is even a monthly newspaper
    Gerry Adams says "Blur" instead of "Blair". Is he speaking Ulster Scots?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the secretary View Post
    Head is 'heed'

In that link I posted with the OP it says head is heid
    #3amigos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For the umpteenth time, no. Its a makey uppy cultural movement. I actually remember the UTV newspiece that first highlighted how old 'regional slang' that was being lost in parts of rural Ulster. But it was a surpise to see it emerge a couple of years later as the basis for a alleged ethnic movement dubbed 'Ulster Scots'.

With public money on offer for cultural minorties to fuel it, it has become a hokey revisionist phenomena. It is telling how many who now hold the recent tradition of Ulster Scots dear, profess to have been entirely ignorant of it before they got the glossy publically funded brochures. And why did they not know about it while they were growing up? Because it did not exist. But as a modern answer to the 'mystic celtic twilight bullsh*t' that some in the south cling too, it does what it was designed to do, regardless of the fact that it has little historical basis and ignores centruies of subsequent history.

If told by someone that they were 'Ulster Scot', I would say the same thing to them as I do to those who cry tears over their ancentral memory of the potato famine, ie. "feck off".
    Last edited by Thac0man; 9th March 2013 at 05:42 PM.

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast