Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get the Banners out, UNPAID Parental Leave Extended from 14 wks to 18wks woohoo NOT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Get the Banners out, UNPAID Parental Leave Extended from 14 wks to 18wks woohoo NOT

Parental leave extended from 14 weeks to 18 weeks TheJournal.ie

So Shatter as per EU Council Directive is now extending the UNPAID parental leave from 14 weeks to 18 weeks for kids up to aged 8...woohoo

I have three kids aged 8, 6, 4, I work fulltime & him indoors is in on/off construction since 2009, that aside, we "managed" to finance our way to take 2 weeks of unpaid parental leave during the summer of 2007 - woohoo

This directive is of ZERO benefit to our family as there is no way, we can afford to take any more of the now 52 weeks entitlement we now have <tuts>. Grant it for some, now that it is entitled to "De Men" is good, but it still goes back to affordability.

Another thing about it is "Under the regulations, parents returning from back to work from parental leave will also be allowed to request a change in their working hours or pattern. Although employers must consider such a request, they are not required to grant it." I can't see any struggling or not so struggling employers buying into this

Thoughts ? And eh, none of that "well if you can't afford kids don't have them kinda bolliccckology
    Repeal the 8th

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PUFF DADDY View Post

Thoughts ? And eh, none of that "well if you can't afford kids don't have them kinda bolliccckology
    Duck!
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got 3 days paid leave when carlovian jnr was born.

I genuinely thought I'd et about 3 weeks.

3 miserable days, I'd get more off with a cold.
    I believe that children are the future

Unless we stop them now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you want ? paid leave?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUnited View Post
    What do you want ? paid leave?
    a bit of flexibility and consideration on what it is like for working parents would not go a miss, but hey get back to your xbox and jog on, I am not looking for "paid leave", some compensation, yes or flexible term time if you like instead of paying fat fees to creches .

€1100 childcare a mth for two of three sch going kids 3 days a week, with folks doing the other days ,if him indoors is working, could be brought down for a start, but
    Repeal the 8th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 'orebel View Post
    Duck!
    Yeh this once upon a time mid income family should have realised that in the "future" we could or should not have had kids, cause we cannot afford them now <sigh>
    Repeal the 8th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So Shatter as per EU Council Directive is now extending the UNPAID parental leave from 14 weeks to 18 weeks for kids up to aged 8...woohoo

I have three kids aged 8, 6, 4, I work fulltime & him indoors is in on/off construction since 2009, that aside, we "managed" to finance our way to take 2 weeks of unpaid parental leave during the summer of 2007 - woohoo

This directive is of ZERO benefit to our family as there is no way, we can afford to take any more of the now 52 weeks entitlement we now have <tuts>. Grant it for some, now that it is entitled to "De Men" is good, but it still goes back to affordability.

Another thing about it is "Under the regulations, parents returning from back to work from parental leave will also be allowed to request a change in their working hours or pattern. Although employers must consider such a request, they are not required to grant it." I can't see any struggling or not so struggling employers buying into this

Give up work and live off benefits. That way you can have lots of quality time with your kids. Go a step further and home school. It'll be great.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

a bit of flexibility and consideration on what it is like for working parents would not go a miss, but hey get back to your xbox and jog on, I am not looking for "paid leave", some compensation, yes or flexible term time if you like instead of paying fat fees to creches .

€1100 childcare a mth for two of three sch going kids 3 days a week, with folks doing the other days ,if him indoors is working, could be brought down for a start, but
    What do you want now, back to the xbox or go jogging?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgellons View Post
    Give up work and live off benefits. That way you can have lots of quality time with your kids. Go a step further and home school. It'll be great.
    Who'd pay the mortgage etc.. not brought up that way..to me that would be a nightmare
    Repeal the 8th

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is what your child benefit payments are for. Compensation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast