Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: African Aid . Some thoughts.

Politics.ie Member seanmoylantd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default African Aid . Some thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/user/END7TV

I clicked on this last night. Can't watch the second half because I have no money to give to this particular charity unfortunately, and the guilt would hurt me badly.
    I give to the Medical Missionaries of Mary in Kenya. I asked that the money be given towards FGM corrective surgery. I support a Padre in Southern Africa also. I only give peanuts , but it's long term and the Missionaries say that it goes a long way , so not to worry about it being so tiny.

So I have a Catholic interest in it you might say. I prefer to give to Catholic charities as I feel there is a commitment to African parishes which NGOs cannot replicate, plus I appreciate that my family and I are prayed for daily by the good Sisters .

So far ,so Catholic. However ,I wonder would it not be better if all the Aid Workers decided to tackle on problem a year instead of piecemeal projects on Education, Child Vaccination, Loans for Small Businesses , Women's Rights, Family Planning ,AIDS, and Orphan Care.

Its so monolithic , Africa and the biggest problem seems to be a lack of access to clean drinking water.
    Have the charities ever considered dropping their usual duties and said , '' Right. This year we're going to dig wells and maybe build public bathrooms . If we all work together , we can solve one problem in the lives of ordinary Africans. free, up the lives and the time of the water -bearers , break the cycle of disease and infection , and give the clean water to drink.''

I know years ago this would have been impossible ,but now we have Skype and mobile phones and email. Surely it wouldn't be too hard for the ''Elders of the Aid Givers Tribe '' whomever they are ,to give leadership on this?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would be nice of the Catholic Church to stop telling the Africans that using contraception is against gods will. Why would you feel guilty btw?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unfortunately all the other myriad problems are unlikely to take the year off while the NGO's are dealing with the chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTallaghtban View Post
    It would be nice of the Catholic Church to stop telling the Africans that using contraception is against gods will. Why would you feel guilty btw?
    Why would you think that would have any affect? After all, the Catholic church tells millions of European catholics the same thing and the Church is ignored.

Anyway, the best thing to do for Africa would be to establish a free trade area with them.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern manís existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    Why would you think that would have any affect? After all, the Catholic church tells millions of European catholics the same thing and the Church is ignored.
    Look up the birth rates. The africans cant feed them, yet they keep breeding them.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTallaghtban View Post
    Look up the birth rates. The africans cant feed them, yet they keep breeding them.
    You haven't answer my question.

83% of Africans are not Catholic, so why would they pay any attention to the Pope? In Ethiopia the popualtion has doubled over the last 50 years, yet not even 1% of the population are Roman Catholic.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern manís existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with some of the points in the OP, just giving them food and stuff wont really help if they haven't learned how to farm, manage irigation or even understand crop rotation. I think the main focus should be from any african aid charity should be primarly on agricuitural with learning how to built proper water management while secondary would be health and education as they would need to know how what is bad for them and how to keep themself's healty.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You need to realise that aid won't help. What is needed is greater family planning, use of birth control shots to protect against pregnancy. Currently the sub-saharan population is projected to double to 2 billion before 2050. That will be unsustainable and lead to mass poverty. It will also cause conflict with neighbouring countries.

I'd also recommend this essay on lifeboat ethics - ultimately the lifeboat will collapse and that is what is happening with misguided aid to countries that have dramatically higher birth rates.

Lifeboat Ethics: the Case Against Helping the Poor by Garrett Hardin - The Garrett Hardin Society - Articles