Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: This Irish TImes Article reads like an ad for mercenaries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default This Irish TImes Article reads like an ad for mercenaries

Not much in the way of balance in this Irish Times article

Irish Times-The military emigrants

The author seems to think it's a splendid thing to join the British Army and go to Iraq and Afghanistan, and paints a glowing picture of a life of exciting experiences and opportunities.

No mention is made of the oddness of swearing an oath to serve a foreign power, and perhaps giving your life for some imperial adventure.

I would have thought advertising for mercenaries would be illegal.

mer·ce·nar·y

• a professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army.

• any hireling

Mercenary | Define Mercenary at Dictionary.com

If you think these people do not fit the definition, then maybe this thread is a good place to say why.

Politics.ie Member cottage_economist's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But in practice mercenaries are recruited into units composed entirely of foreign soldiers. The French Foreign Legion perhaps, or the foreign units in the Spanish Civil War.

Irish people joining the British Army would be subsumed into existing units comprising of British soldiers. Even the Irish regiments are usually officered by British officers, and in any case would have largely British units attached to them.

Not at all sure about the hireling definition. Don't soldiers in the Irish Army get paid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heligoland View Post

The author seems to think it's a splendid thing to join the British Army and go to Iraq and Afghanistan, and paints a glowing picture of a life of exciting experiences and opportunities.

No mention is made of the oddness of swearing an oath to serve a foreign power, and perhaps giving your life for some imperial adventure.

If you think these people do not fit the definition, then maybe this thread is a good place to say why.
    Very sadly, Ireland has always been riven with people who think nothing of demeaning their Country by joining up with an army that's job 100% of the time up of it's existence has been to keep Irish people from having their freedom.

It would appear the most heinous crimes that have been carried out by that army onto our nation mean nothing and are clearly swept under the proverbial carpet after a few years have passed.

No other nation would be that stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eire1976 View Post
    Very sadly, Ireland has always been riven with people who think nothing of demeaning their Country by joining up with an army that's job 100% of the time up of it's existence has been to keep Irish people from having their freedom.

It would appear the most heinous crimes that have been carried out by that army onto our nation mean nothing and are clearly swept under the proverbial carpet after a few years have passed.

No other nation would be that stupid.
    Apart from the Nepalese apparently, who supply Gurkhas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish Times has always been colonialist.

Off to slot the rag heads in Walla-WallaStan! Spiffing! Give it to 'em right up the Khyber, they don't like it up 'em.
    Maybe they could make it one of those JobBridge schemes for single mothers and their bastards and all the rest of the pinkos?
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cottage_economist View Post
    But in practice mercenaries are recruited into units composed entirely of foreign soldiers. The French Foreign Legion perhaps, or the foreign units in the Spanish Civil War.
    Would a British person be legally allowed to serve in a foreign army, and fight against a nation with which Britain was at peace?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cottage_economist View Post
    Apart from the Nepalese apparently, who supply Gurkhas.
    I was unaware that Britain had been keeping Nepal from having it's freedom, more or less tried to exterminate it's population by starving them and making more leave for other countries for hundreds of years.

What fool would join an army of a state that had done that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That is a terrible definition for a mercenary. A mercenary is not a national or party to a conflict and is motivated purely by money.
    I have a few friends who joined the BA because our own DF were not recruiting. I personally wouldn't but fair play to them, they are making something of their lives rather than be a drain on the dole here.
    Also, no such oath exists for the Royal Navy.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would a British person be legally allowed to serve in a foreign army, and fight against a nation with which Britain was at peace?
    Apparently so. Both Australia and New Zealand sent troops to fight the North Vietnamese, with whom Britain had no quarrel. Some of these were bound to have been born in the UK, thus making them British citizens, yet I never heard of them receiving any penalty. I once spoke to a Londoner who was an Israeli army reservist, and whenever they had a spat off he would go to do his bit, returning when it was over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eire1976 View Post
    I was unaware that Britain had been keeping Nepal from having it's freedom, more or less tried to exterminate it's population by starving them and making more leave for other countries for hundreds of years.

What fool would join an army of a state that had done that?
    How is Britain keeping Ireland from having its freedom? An are you sure that emigration has abated since Irish independence?

And I think you'll find that at one time Britain was indeed keeping Nepal from having its freedom.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast