Thread: Irish alcohol consumption down 19% since 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish alcohol consumption down 19% since 2001

Here's the link to the piece in the today's IT:

Irish alcohol consumption drops - The Irish Times - Fri, Mar 08, 2013

So, what are the causes?

The smoking ban introduced in 2004?
    The downturn in the economy over the past 5 years?
    Greedy publicans, in some instances?
    Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
    Those who can't do either, are Sindo columnists.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To be honest, it was at very unhealthy levels in 2001.

And in many instances, alcohol consumption still is at unhealthy levels in this country.

But...never mind...Eamon Coughlan thinks the problem is that people don't spend enough time running.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More people drinking at home I reckon. Doesn't count as "alcohol consumption" if you ask them.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Dylan2010

demographics? like with accident rates , if your teens and twenty something's are leaving in droves, consumption will drop.

the paddy effect (only joking)

A recent study published online by The Medical Journal of Australia has shown that the consumption of alcohol is on the rise and linked to alcohol related health harms (eg, liver cirrhosis, accidents and suicide) and social harms (eg, arrests for assault and public disorder).

The aim of the study was to estimate the national trend in per capita consumption (PCC) of alcohol by young Australians aged 15 years of age and over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The government better move fast on this one. As alcohol consumption continues to decline in Ireland for various reasons (disposable income, smoking ban, drink driving ban, emigration of the key 20-25 consumption pool, new lifestyles etc - we all know the reasons) Kenny and the rest of his so called government are desperate to convince the people of Ireland that they are in fact a low form of humanity, permenantly marinated in a drunken stupor, forever intoxicated, violent and boorish and an embarrassment in the world at large who also share Kenny and his motley crew's loathing of the Irish. And consequently, because we need to be pulled into line and made proper humans out of according to some Kennelian template, excise duties need to be driven as high as possible to impoverish anyone who would dare act the sterotypical illiterate Oirish thicko and decide to partake of a drink now and then. But the longer they hold off on the various advertising bans, excise increases, licensing hours interference, retail outlet rules and regulations, etc etc etc etc the more their excuse will disappear altogether.
    Last edited by Niall996; 8th March 2013 at 05:54 PM.
    Bringing reconciliation, mutual respect and cross community understanding to Northern Ireland through facts

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Losers. Sobriety is for the weak.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most components of discretionary spending are down 20%+ since 2001 - basically 3 successive governments have sucked the lifeblood from the people to first enrich their friends in the tent, then the bankers and now the foreign bankers...and of course themselves along the way....they have inflated salaries, but increased taxes, direct or stealth, so that people feel wealthy the day they get paid but struggle to get to the end of the month without going further into debt.

It's less about being more health conscious and more about being beaten down by the government's policies of taxing everything that moves rather than tackling the rot at the heart of Irish politics.
    The more things change....

i drink about 8-10 cans a week so i spose i am in the average
    drink it over the course of 2 nights

I can live with that
    I also smoke 9 cigarettes a week

Happy enough with that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But I thought that drink had to be taxed out of existence to stop us all from drowning in it.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AgentMacTaylor View Post
    i drink about 8-10 cans a week so i spose i am in the average
    drink it over the course of 2 nights
    I probably drink the same on average over a year however my consumption would be more lumpy in that I like to drink watching the football, rugby etc on the box. So next week with Cheltenham, rugby, football and Paddys etc I might drink the best part of 2 slabs but during the months of the summer very little.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast