Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who will Sinn Féin select to contest Dublin Bay North?

Politics.ie Member Eric Cartman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Who will Sinn Féin select to contest Dublin Bay North?

A post on the Political Reform blog reckons S.F. could nab a seat in the new 5 seater. Along with McGrath and the other two (Bruton, Ó Riordáin), F.F. and S.F. are capable of taking seats.

That means Seán Haughey and who?

S.F. have fielded two separate candidates in this areas over the last few years:
    • Peter Lawlor (Clontarf local 2004, DNC 2007)
    • Helen McCormack (Clontarf 2009, DNC 2011)

The new constituency takes in a portion of D.C., but I don't think the inimitable Christy Burke will be standing!

They need to stand a brand new face in the 2014 locals, to set them up for the General in 2016. Who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Councillor Mícheál Mac Donncha or Councillor Larry O'Toole as Dublin Bay North includes the far stronger area of Dublin North East as opposed to the Dublin North Central candidates you have listed here.

As for local (Clontarf ward) council though. Haven't a clue.

I know there is a new enough cumann there with some younger members as I saw them out leafletting Marino recently enough. Lawlor is still about too so possibly him.

Having said that, the local councils are being revamped so nobody knows what the boundaries will be. It could end up lumped in with Donaghmede or something.
    We won't rest till the guts of the last Fianna Fáiler has been used to strangle the last Blueshirt

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Avril will fancy her chance again for FF and Flanaghan will probably pick one up for FG, probably O'Toole for SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Larry O'Toole is knocking around for a long time now. I'm not sure that he could face into another campaign. Particularly in a monster constituency. His base is Coolock and he doesn't pick up much anywhere else.

Micháel MacDonnacha is positioning himself for a run but I'm not sure he's electable. I think SF would need a young (sorry for being ageist) energetic candidate for a tilt in Dublin Bay North.

Averil will take a FF seat back here.

If Broughan and Kenny retire, Aodhan O'Riordain will go for Labour and will stand a chance even in a Labour backlash election.

I reckon: Richard Bruton, Averil Power, Finian McGrath will take seats with the last 2 being a scrap between Terence Flanagan, Aodhan O'Riordain and whoever SF put up.

Long way to go though. Celebrity independent?

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bren Boru View Post
    Larry O'Toole is knocking around for a long time now. I'm not sure that he could face into another campaign. Particularly in a monster constituency. His base is Coolock and he doesn't pick up much anywhere else.

Micháel MacDonnacha is positioning himself for a run but I'm not sure he's electable. I think SF would need a young (sorry for being ageist) energetic candidate for a tilt in Dublin Bay North.

If Broughan and Kenny retire, Aodhan O'Riordain will go for Labour and will stand a chance even in a Labour backlash election.

I reckon: Richard Bruton, Averil Power, Finian McGrath will take seats with the last 2 being a scrap between Terence Flanagan, Aodhan O'Riordain and whoever SF put up.

Anybody hear rumours of one of Gerry Ryan's sprogs in regard to this?
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Politics.ie Member Eric Cartman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What are the boundaries of Dublin North West? Or is it abolished? Does it not include Coolock? O'Toole lives in Darndale. I presume Dublin Bay North will include Donaghmede: Killian Forde would've been the ideal candidate but he jumped ship! I saw Mícheál Mac Donnacha in Killbarrack alright. Where do Flanagan and Power base themselves? Who will run in Dublin North West then?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I could see one of Eamon Greenes young fellas running as an indo, although obviously not a celebrity

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    What are the boundaries of Dublin North West? Or is it abolished? Does it not include Coolock? O'Toole lives in Darndale. I presume Dublin Bay North will include Donaghmede: Killian Forde would've been the ideal candidate but he jumped ship! I saw Mícheál Mac Donnacha in Killbarrack alright. Where do Flanagan and Power base themselves? Who will run in Dublin North West then?
    Killian Forde is not from Donaghmede , he from Sutton, he didn't run in the Howth/Sutton ward because everyone who knows him there thinks he's an arsehole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    Anybody hear rumours of one of Gerry Ryan's sprogs in regard to this?
    Say it ain't so.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I could see one of Eamon Greenes young fellas running as an indo, although obviously not a celebrity
    I'm in Bayside. I've no idea who Eamon Greene is.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast