Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Elderly caller to Liveline says he will stage sit-in at his local Post Office, and asks others to do so

Default Elderly caller to Liveline says he will stage sit-in at his local Post Office, and asks others to do so

On liveline now.

'Jimmy', aged 72, says he is proud to pay his taxes, but will not be paying this property tax.

He says if he has the tax deducted from his pension, he will sit in at his local post office.

Is this property tax the final straw, as indicated by Leo Varadkar earlier today?

Meanwhile, speaking today, Varadkar had this to say of Martin:

"Let me say something about Micheál Martin, and his comments today prove to me why Fianna Fail are hypocrites that can't be trusted. This is a man who was a senior person in a government that introduced the Universal Social Charge, that abolished the Christmas bonus, that cut the pension for the blind and the disabled, and actually agreed with us to introduce the property tax. So him to say now he is suddenly feeling our pain is a bit rich, quite frankly."
    http://www.newstalk.ie/reader/47.305...t-can't-be

http://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadka...23754-Mar2013/
    Last edited by ShoutingIsLeadership; 8th March 2013 at 04:32 PM.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Dylan2010

Might be nice to see grey power doing the rest of us a favour for a change

Fair play to this man. The pensioners showing the people of this state how to stand up for themselves yet again!

Those on social welfare should consider similar options and workers should look at their banks and work stoppages official or unofficial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shout - have ya got alink to Lee V please?

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin 4 View Post
    Shout - have ya got alink to Lee V please?
    One added to the OP, where he calls Martin a hypocrite. I'll try to dig out the 'last straw' comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    On liveline now.

'Jimmy', aged 72, says he is proud to pay his taxes, but will not be paying this property tax.

He says if he has the tax deducted from his pension, he will sit in at his local post office.

Is this property tax the final straw, as indicated by Leo Varadkar earlier today?

Meanwhile, speaking today, Varadkar had this to say of Martin:

http://www.newstalk.ie/reader/47.305.360/3418/blog_list/---Leo-Varadkar:-"Fianna-Fail-are-hypocrites-that-can't-be
    For me it is the final straw.

Have paid massive amount of tax over a full working lifetime - compliant to the last cent. No longer though.

They can come and get me.
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons......

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This tax has nothing to do with an post, and oaps have got the least amount of cuts the past 5 years.

Seems to be a lot of anger about this property tax.

People who paid stamp duty seem to find it particularly hard to stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget558 View Post
    This tax has nothing to do with an post, and oaps have got the least amount of cuts the past 5 years.
    He collects his pension from the post office, so presumably that's why he is choosing there to stage his protest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, the last straw is a growing budget deficit leading the country not being able to fund itself at some stage in the near future.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast