Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: The interesting case of UBL's son-in-law extradited to the USA

Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The interesting case of UBL's son-in-law extradited to the USA

I've been watching this case for a little while now. Sulaiman Abu Ghaith (pictured at right) inexplicably wandered into NATO member Turkey a while back. He was hanging out in Ankara for several weeks before the Turks arrested him. Oddly, he was released by them and he ambled off into Jordon supposedly on his way back to his country of origin Kuwait (though no longer a citizen; he was stripped of his citizenship). The Jordanians arrested him and he passed into U.S. custody and is now languishing in a New York Jail.

“We have the right to kill four million Americans — two million of them children — and to exile twice as many and wound and cripple hundreds of thousands. Furthermore, it is our right to fight them with chemical and biological weapons.” - Sulaiman Abu Ghaith

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/08/wo...l.html?hp&_r=0

A couple of interesting questions come to mind

1) Unless he's packing a WMD in his digestive tract, this is clearly a surrender of some sort. But why, and what does it mean for the AQ movement? A mental breakdown of sorts or a change of heart? Perhaps there's some plea bargain, but that's not very Jihadi, is it? Doesn't it seem very, very odd indeed?

2) Why did Turkey not extradite him? An administrative issue or is Erdoğan protecting his Islamist Arab-street cred by not being seen to be playing ball?

Whatever the answers, this is very encouraging. As Congressman King has put it, "Definitely, one by one, we are getting the top echelons of al-Qa'ida, I give the (Obama) administration credit for this: it's steady and it's unrelenting and it's very successful."

Interested to see how this pans out.
    Last edited by Kevin Parlon; 8th March 2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: grammar!
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't figure thus guy out at all so I'm not even going to try. Maybe he too realised his bacon is cooked and better to get out of the frying pan. The Turkish element is interesting. I read earlier tonight that one (if not the) OBL spokes person was captured. But the fight seems to be moving from traditional battlegrounds into Africa and other parts. This could be an act of desperation however... but the clean up is well and truly underway... for now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could there be some sort of coup within AQ? As a rule terrorist groups don't surrender and they don't get beaten. Each time one set fades away another will appear to take its place.
    Its Up to ME

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pippakin View Post
    Could there be some sort of coup within AQ?
    I'd seriously doubt that if there was, it would result in some of them appraching the trenches with waving a white rag like this. Such an event would likely either cause a simple split or some dead ex-jihadis in a mountain grave somewhere. Perhaps they got to his family? It's something big and it is very very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by pippakin View Post
    As a rule terrorist groups don't surrender and they don't get beaten. Each time one set fades away another will appear to take its place.
    True enough. Still I can't wait for the bauld Dr Al Zwahiri to join either this fellow in New York, or UBL in oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Down They Go
    read earlier tonight that one (if not the) OBL spokes person was captured.
    I think this guy is a the.
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Parlon View Post
    I'd seriously doubt that if there was, it would result in some of them appraching the trenches with waving a white rag like this. Such an event would likely either cause a simple split or some dead ex-jihadis in a mountain grave somewhere. Perhaps they got to his family? It's something big and it is very very interesting.

True enough. Still I can't wait for the bauld Dr Al Zwahiri to join either this fellow in New York, or UBL in oblivion.

I think this guy is a the.
    Yes but this guy appears from what you say to have been asking to be captured so that must indicate something unusual. Turkey he could maybe get away with but wandering into Jordan?
    Its Up to ME

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK, so I guess my definition of "interesting" isn't widely shared He is being cooperative and polite. An odd thing when one considers the threats he's made over the years. The indictment doesn't allege he was an 'operational' memeber of AQ but it seems to be his exhortations to have people join AQ is the basis of his arrest.

Another crumb of information is that he lived in Iran for most of the past decade. An arab in Iran will stand out. One wonders whether he was there with the knowledge of the Iranian government.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/09/ny...-new-york.html

"One person with knowledge of the circumstances surrounding Mr. Abu Ghaith’s arrest and his statements to F.B.I. agents and New York police detectives from the Joint Terrorist Task Force said Mr. Abu Ghaith was disappointed but not surprised when he was arrested. When Mr. Abu Ghaith spoke at length with investigators, before and after requesting a lawyer, he was consistently pleasant and respectful, the person said."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Maybe, he has a "Drone" complex.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.”—Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I feel it's a bit silly giving the Obama administration credit for him practically handing himself into custody.
    "The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise." James Larkin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Al Qaeda is a hoax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Parlon View Post
    Another crumb of information is that he lived in Iran for most of the past decade. An arab in Iran will stand out. ."
    There are many Arabs in Iran. Why would he stand out?