Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Conference of the Left ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A Conference of the Left ?

Was at the excellent Lockout conference on Saturday and was reading I think Eoin O'Murchu's article in An Phoblacht and he mentioned that maybe that SF should organize a conference of the left in Ireland. Obviously the SP and SWP, left ward independents such as Finian McGrath etc though personally I wouldn't invite Labour as their no more left than Fine Gael, maybe Penrose or Nutly or some of the rebel Labour and of course the trade unions. Your thoughts folks ?
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's a lot of people who would dispute SF's leftwing credentials. It's not that long ago Martin McGuinness was kissing corporate arse over in Wall St with Paisley. In 2007 SF in the south ran on the same lines as the 3 main parties and aimed to go into coalition with FF. It was only after the financial collapse and when the Bank Guarantee looked a bad idea that SF decided they were left. SF aren't that fussy about left or right as long as it means power.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Naivite in extremis

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Maybe organise the seats around the magic money tree.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It's called Dail Eireann.
    Fair and Balanced

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's the point in Sinn Fein, a right wing populist party , organising a conference of the left in Ireland ?

Leave that to latter-day Marxists and mal-contents like The Minger Flanagan, Worzel Gummidge's girl friend, Clare Daly, Uncle Joe and Rich Boy Barrett, true blue left wingers every one of them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No-one will turn up.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    SF aren't that fussy about left or right as long as it means power.
    I hate when I agree with a commie

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A conference of the left organised by SF is an insult.

SF is implementing austerity in Northern Ireland just as Labour are in the south.

There is no genuine left political party in Ireland north or south.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There would be potential for such a Conference; however, earlier posters are correct in that Sinn Féin's left credentials are highly dubious. This is a party which is calling for corporate tax to be slashed by half in the North. So I would say that it shouldn't be organised by a single party, although members of any party could come. They needn't represent their party per se, so questions as to whether or not the party is to be defined as left-wing could be averted.

The corollary of this is that it would make it harder to organise in the absence of a single party behind it; it would be a question of party members and non-aligned political activists having to come together. This organisational side would be likely to be more problematic, although it needn't present an insurmountable obstacle.

Can anyone think of a comparable event?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast