Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 345

Thread: Real IRA's internal civil war turns deadly: "Regional Commander" assassinated

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,430
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Real IRA's internal civil war turns deadly: "Regional Commander" assassinated

    Yes it's 2013, not 1913, but people are still organising themselves into little armies and then killing each other.

    Real IRA commander Peter Butterly was killed yesterday while he sat in his car after going to a meet with other members from his group.

    Butterly was due to be in court next week on membership of the illegal organisation, and had wriggled out of a previous prosecution on bomb charges.

    The positive side to this is that it all apparently happened right in front of the Gardai who were keeping this wannabe terror leader under surveillance. So they should hopefully have eye witnesses, immediate forensics, descriptions/photos of those involved etc. Ideally whoever committed the crime is successfully prosecuted.

    5 men have been arrested, all of whom were caught close to the scene.

    Honestly, at what point will people just accept that the vast majority of people of this island don't want these loons fighting "in our name"? If you want to sort out your own little drugs/intimidation racket then fine, stop pretending it's part of some glorious rebellion movement though.

    Five in custody over Real IRA murder outside Meath pub - The Irish Times - Thu, Mar 07, 2013
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  2. #2

    Default

    Garda information in the south and two in the north caught by state intelligence operations show how comprimised this new 'IRA' are, so a good reason why no-one should be anywhere near them, and exactly why this compromised organisation should stop.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member FrankSpeaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tralee
    Posts
    4,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Yes it's 2013, not 1913, but people are still organising themselves into little armies and then killing each other.

    Real IRA commander Peter Butterly was killed yesterday while he sat in his car after going to a meet with other members from his group.

    Butterly was due to be in court next week on membership of the illegal organisation, and had wriggled out of a previous prosecution on bomb charges.

    The positive side to this is that it all apparently happened right in front of the Gardai who were keeping this wannabe terror leader under surveillance. So they should hopefully have eye witnesses, immediate forensics, descriptions/photos of those involved etc. Ideally whoever committed the crime is successfully prosecuted.

    5 men have been arrested, all of whom were caught close to the scene.

    Honestly, at what point will people just accept that the vast majority of people of this island don't want these loons fighting "in our name"? If you want to sort out your own little drugs/intimidation racket then fine, stop pretending it's part of some glorious rebellion movement though.

    Five in custody over Real IRA murder outside Meath pub - The Irish Times - Thu, Mar 07, 2013
    It's a good day for Ireland, 1 scumbag killed and 5 in custody.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,430
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    Were the Brit secret services somehow involved?
    Look it's clearly all the Brit's fault. Or the Gardai's for monitoring this guy. Or the Gardai for keeping other RIRA members under watch. It's all just a campaign of harrassment. Why can't they just be left alone to play with their My Little Pony collections? That's all the innocent heroes in the RIRA want.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,665
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Who makes these titles up? 'Commander ' Butterly is a made up title. Undermines a good comment.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,430
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    Who makes these titles up? 'Commander ' Butterly is a made up title. Undermines a good comment.
    The Times reported him as being "regional commander". Now I don't think the RIRA is big enough to warrent franchises, I liketo think they all have their own little titles that they pick themselves. So the tea boy who's job it is to bag up the cocaine or find the bricks to throw through pub windows has the offical title of "Tzar of war".
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    54,329
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bye bye mubarak View Post
    Garda information in the south and two in the north caught by state intelligence operations show how comprimised this new 'IRA' are, so a good reason why no-one should be anywhere near them, and exactly why this compromised organisation should stop.
    That's not why they should stop. They should stop becasuse what they're doing is anti-democratic, illegal and stupid.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26,763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Can the killing of one violent lawless thug by another violent lawless thug really be called an "assassination"?

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    54,329
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    Were the Brit secret services somehow involved?
    Ladies and gentlemen, Exhibit A.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    54,329
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Can the killing of one violent lawless thug by another violent lawless thug really be called an "assassination"?
    No, not really.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •