Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RBS Systems Crash-Again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default RBS Systems Crash-Again!

Last night the Royal Bank of Scotland IT systems crashed again, meaning customers couldn't get their cash. They own Ulster Bank too. I don't know if Ulster Bank systems were affected, there's nothing on the website as of yet.

Millions left without money as RBS systems crash - Telegraph

You would have thought they would have sorted out the IT issued from last time around.

mods, I kow there's an Ulster Bank thread somewhere but I just couldn't find it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My Ulster Bank online banking is still working, so for now it's UK only.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

RBS said all services had returned to normal at 0100 GMT but some customers still could not access their accounts
    To point out the obvious boys, if some customers can't get into their accounts then service has not returned to normal. Honestly, their IT people need a smack.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There needs to be a smooth and practical process where a bank's license can be taken off them, so that the shareholders can be burned and the bank sold off to another entity who knows how to operate IT reliably. RBS should be the test case.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    To point out the obvious boys, if some customers can't get into their accounts then service has not returned to normal. Honestly, their IT people need a smack.
    It is their own damn fault for outsourcing so much of their systems support to India. Last year they were frantically running around trying to take on staff that they had previously given compulsory redundancy too in order to fix that debacle.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member TheWexfordInn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, maybe their idea to outsource the experienced core IT development team over to India as a cost-cutting measure wasn't such a good idea after all. Who'da thunk it?
    Oops looks like Aindriu was reading my mind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's perhaps wise to remember that whenever we hear the phrase 'joined up government' what is meant is that we all become units on a vast state database which of course will never leak, will never be hacked, will be totally secure and will never crash.

RBS's woes might just cause our lords and masters to stop and think, not that thinking has ever been their strong point.
    Once your ability to function within society depends on a government controlled ID card then you are no longer a free citizen.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWexfordInn View Post
    Hmm, maybe their idea to outsource the experienced core IT development team over to India as a cost-cutting measure wasn't such a good idea after all. Who'da thunk it?
    Oops looks like Aindriu was reading my mind.
    Last year's problem wasn't down to out-sourcing. It was a domestic screw up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu View Post
    It is their own damn fault for outsourcing so much of their systems support to India. Last year they were frantically running around trying to take on staff that they had previously given compulsory redundancy too in order to fix that debacle.
    The problem wasn't the outsourcing, it was planning. Hester himself confirmed as much. They spent too much developing new apps/services and neglected the existing infrastructure. The telegraph tried blaming India IIRC but it was without evidence and really, if you write a story for the Telegraph and don't blame a foregin country then you've had a bad day behind the typewriter.

"RBS has seen a big mushrooming in spending on technology. With hindsight maybe a bit more of that increase in spend should have been in the core taken-for-granted systems that work every day. Some of our focus was on the new things people want,
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    The problem wasn't the outsourcing, it was planning. Hester himself confirmed as much. They spent too much developing new apps/services and neglected the existing infrastructure. The telegraph tried blaming India IIRC but it was without evidence and really, if you write a story for the Telegraph and don't blame a foregin country then you've had a bad day behind the typewriter.
    The problem was with their scheduling package - CA7. They upgraded to a new version but noticed serious degraded performance over the weekend and decided to roll back to the previous version while they investigated the issue.

The problem was that the new version had reformatted the control files used as input to the schedules. CA had anticipated this and had provided a patch to be applied to the old version which would allow it to use the new format in the event of a rollback (a standard practice in the industry). Applying that patch was a documented step in the upgrade. Someone in Edinburgh failed to do that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast