Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Mary Lou McDonald future Taoiseach?

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mary Lou McDonald future Taoiseach?

So with recent polls showing only a gap of 3% between FF/FG/SF and ~20% of voters undecided the political future of this country is far from certain with no one party dominating, does it open the door to SF and Mary Lou as a future Taoiseach?

I recently tweeted @AskPaddyPower where you can ask for specific odds and they replied with odds of 8/1 (also had Pearse Doherty as finance minister before 2020 @ 20/1). Now given SF's rise in the polls from just under 10% in 2011 to 21% at the time of posting is there a distinct possibility this could happen?

I personally think so. Next time round a FF/FG coalition looks likely and a term as the largest opposition party could well see SF and Mary Lou (assuming Adams has left) as potential leaders in government in two terms time.
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll give you 100/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Drop the word Future when it comes to with any thing to do with this country ,we dont have one.

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics.ie Member Tommythesash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWelshCelt View Post
    So with recent polls showing only a gap of 3% between FF/FG/SF and ~20% of voters undecided the political future of this country is far from certain with no one party dominating, does it open the door to SF and Mary Lou as a future Taoiseach?

I recently tweeted @AskPaddyPower where you can ask for specific odds and they replied with odds of 8/1 (also had Pearse Doherty as finance minister before 2020 @ 20/1). Now given SF's rise in the polls from just under 10% in 2011 to 21% at the time of posting is there a distinct possibility this could happen?

I personally think so. Next time round a FF/FG coalition looks likely and a term as the largest opposition party could well see SF and Mary Lou (assuming Adams has left) as potential leaders in government in two terms time.

Interesting.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1. FF/FG doesn't look likely. There's no quote from anyone involved to give the theory credence.

2. SF are currently significantly to the left of Labour. You'd be talking about a major shift of the electorate to the left (larger than it's realistic to expect) or a major shift to the centre by SF to make the idea of them winning a stand alone majority.

3. Their most likely route in is a minority partner with FF or (less likely) Labour. She won't get taoiseach out of that and minority partnerships tend to end poorly for the smaller party in Ireland.

4. From what I've seen she lacks leadership, policy knowledge and influence in her own party to make her a contender. Right now I'd put her significantly behind Doherty in the rankings.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    1. FF/FG doesn't look likely. There's no quote from anyone involved to give the theory credence.

2. SF are currently significantly to the left of Labour. You'd be talking about a major shift of the electorate to the left (larger than it's realistic to expect) or a major shift to the centre by SF to make the idea of them winning a stand alone majority.

3. Their most likely route in is a minority partner with FF or (less likely) Labour. She won't get taoiseach out of that and minority partnerships tend to end poorly for the smaller party in Ireland.

4. From what I've seen she lacks leadership, policy knowledge and influence in her own party to make her a contender. Right now I'd put her significantly behind Doherty in the rankings.
    1. It looks more likely that FF/SF or FG/SF

2. Electorates can shift and if ever theres a chance of that happening its in this current economic mess.

3. Primarily why I think we'll end up with FF/FG as SF wont want to go the way of the greens, pds

4. She's a great performer in the Dáil and as current vice president of SF she's ahead of Doherty in the running.
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Politics.ie Member TiredOfBeingTired's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MMLD, in some respects, reminds me of Maire Geoghan Quinn.

The last point could point to past and future problems.
    What do Dublin voters know that the rest of us don't?

Pearse Doherty, Gerry Adams and Martin Ferris do not seem to be facing the same problems.
    Sometimes there is very little between historical and hysterical. One passes for the other. In time, the former remains forever, the latter is quickly replaced...

Politics.ie Member Happytolearn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post

Regarding point 1- Would either party ever actually admit to being open to the possibility? I can imagine it happening but only after slithery private talks after the next election.
    I'm a better man now than I was that day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWelshCelt View Post
    Mary Lou, Taoiseach?

I remember a chant at Anfield a few years back, "if the Nevilles play for England, so do I". Seems apt.
    If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar

Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast