Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Complaint to BAI about RTE Frontline Programme 7th Jan with Pat Rabbitte and Brenda Power

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Complaint to BAI about RTE Frontline Programme 7th Jan with Pat Rabbitte and Brenda Power

As a new participant in this forum, I have started this thread to map a complaints process I have invoked re the RTE Frontline programme broadcast on the 7th of January 2013.

I had tried to address this matter directly with RTE in accordance with what I could learn online re a complaints process. I was shocked, that in light of recent hot water that RTE have been in, that they should show such callous disregard for the viewer, for the concept of accuracy, truth and or professionalism.
    My focus in my complaint is with RTE and their bad performance.

As an aside the characters involved Pat Rabbitte (law degree and Minister for Communications) Brenda Power (award winning journalist, broadcaster and Barrister), Larry Donnelly (UCG Law Academic), I submit, from the professional backgrounds should be expected to adhere to a basic level of accuracy and care in their choice of words. Pat Kenny is paid, I believe, some €500K p.a. to present RTE's flagship Current Affairs programme.

The programme was pitched by RTE to represent the best we in Ireland have to offer in terms of Current Affairs. It was not sold as a Marx Bros. show. To me it was a disgrace and I believe we can do better, we deserve better, we need better and our children’s generation have been let down because we allowed such low grade performance filter to the top.

The evidence to support my complaint I have put up in varying granular degrees at:-
    RTE Frontline video complaint. Words, integrity and accuracy are arbitrary. - YouTube
    RTE Frontline Complaint video evidence analysis with transcribed captions - YouTube
    Frontline RTE1 TV 7th January, 2013, a new low in Public Service Broadcasting - YouTube

I will post the material as effectively as I can. I will be very grateful for any suggestions as to how I might optimise it's presentation and dispersal.
    Last edited by Liamog; 8th March 2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
    Defragmentation with Attitude

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My Objective:-
    I seek a thorough, publicly transparent analysis of this complaint, including:-
    • Establishing the facts of the programme;
    • How it was managed and presented;
    • How the panellists behaved then and whether they took steps afterwards to set the record straight;
    • How RTE noted (or not) what had happened, during the programme or afterwards and what action RTE took, if any to set the record straight;
    • Given RTE's new revamped guidelines where individuals are mandated to carry personal responsibility, how did Pat Kenny perform.

If the facts of my complaint are correct then I suggest the following steps:-
    • RTE to honestly correct the record.
    • Publicly demonstrated accountability in action for individuals within RTE.
    • Clear, transparent structures to prevent future occurrences and practical accessible for viewers to provide feedback and effect meaningful change.

Out of all this I would wish:-
    • To improve my own understanding of effective complaints processes.
    • To explore ways of supporting individuals, who are inherently under-resourced and isolated in comparison to the powerful bodies they are challenging.
    • To develop effective templates for preparing, publishing, sharing and distributing awareness of their complaints , which serve the public interest in the “Triangulation of Truth” by supplying evidence-based perspectives which differ from the Politically correct narrative of the mainstream.
    • To create/augment an online archive for legacy storage and availability of the record of complaints processes and handling of complaints.
    • To change the Irish stereotypically negative view of those who register complaints from being perceived as a pain to be understood to be an essential part of society’s quality control as should be whistle blowers as well as the professionally paid statutory regulators. Imagine what might have happened in instances of Institutional child abuse, planning corruption, political misbehaviour, and even with the current horse meat scandal. And no, I’m not forgetting the Financial and Banking melt-down.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry can't access youtube from where I am, what was the issue?

What was said that was untrue and by whom?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dear Sir/Mdm,
    Further to a very clear and helpful conversation with Maria Murphy from your office yesterday 05/02/2013, wherein she described to me the complaints process within the BAI, which were as I expected they should be, but in light of my recent experience with RTE, where whatever procedure was carried out seems to have been at best cursory and also secretive, it was good to have a reassurance of a professional independent evaluative standard.

I wish to submit a formal complaint to the BAI. There are two separate elements to my complaint.
    1. Firstly I wish to register my dissatisfaction with the outcome of my complaint about The Frontline TV programme of 07/01/2013, which I lodged with RTE on the 5th and 6th of February last.
    2. Secondly I wish to complain to the BAI about how I have been treated as a complainant by RTE, both in their failure to revert to me after an initial reading of my complaint (which I had requested), their provision to me of the most minimal information about the procedure they carried out in the blank refusal to respond to my clear, reasonable, and unequivocal questions.

In order to assist the evaluation of my complaint, I refer you to the three following hyperlinks to short YouTube videos, presented with differing levels of granularity in support of my complaint:-

RTE Frontline video complaint. Words, integrity and accuracy are arbitrary. - YouTube
    RTE Frontline Complaint video evidence analysis with transcribed captions - YouTube
    Frontline RTE1 TV 7th January, 2013, a new low in Public Service Broadcasting - YouTube

Essentially, I supplied RTE with a transcript (for details see my original complaint herein), which I had prepared of the relevant section of the program, and in my complaint I formally request that that the reader, having reviewed the footage (available to them on their system), revert to me confirming whether my transcript was truthful and accurate or not, before either progressing or processing my complaint. This request of mine was not heeded.

Instead, RTE emailed to me a short note, which was later confirmed to me as being the final outcome of their “complaints procedure”, which is blatantly and self evidently a perverted mis-construction of the reality of that program. Worse than that, RTE quite falsely have suggested that I mentioned that there was a “confused discussion about the terms which had been used” (see below):-
    “You are correct that in the programme you mention one panellist quoted another incorrectly and that there was a confused discussion about the terms which had been used. ..”

I have compiled for your ease of access and navigation all of the relevant material at my disposal into this PDF document which I submit for your consideration. I formally request that you revert to me, if there is any information lacking, either in clarity or equivocation. I stress that I am happy to make myself available for any oral hearings on this matter that may emerge.

As I explained to Maria Murphy, I was unsuccessful, when browsing the broadcaster act 2009, in identifying specific words which required broadcasters to adhere to accuracy and/or truth and in this regard I have specifically relied on the internal standards documents recently renewed and reviewed and purportedly implemented in RTE. I trust that the concept of truth and accuracy particularly in current affairs public service media is a fundamental prerequisite even if the act as explicitly silent on the matter.

Specifically I complain that under:-

• Section 39 1 a, RTE did not manage and/or present both the dispute between Pat Rabbitte and Brenda Power and the imposed a resolution by Pat Kenny of an incorrect solution, in the name of “consensus”, having due regard for objectivity and impartiality.
    • Section 39 1 b, by facilitating three sequential and consecutive falsehoods, and particularly by doing so claiming legitimacy from the “consensus”, which I submit to represent both the audience and viewers such as myself, RTE acted in an unfair manner to both the conflicting panellists, the audience, the viewers and particularly the fundamental concept of truth and accuracy. By failing to use what I believe should have been a readily available reviewing software to confirm what had actually been said, either during the programme itself, or in a post review process, I submit that RTE displayed a callous disregard for the public interest, in light of the very theme of that particular program.
    • Section 39 1 d, RTE by their failure to act in a professional, open and responsible manner in relation to this program, have caused harm and/or offence to viewers, who retain any level of interest in the relevance and importance of the accuracy in the use of language and that by reference to the quotation from Confucius, that such behaviour is conducive to “tending to undermine the authority of the State”.
    Yours Sincerely,
    Liam Ó Gógáin
    1 Muirhevna
    Dublin Road
    Dundalk
    Co. Louth.

E-mail address:- ogogainl@gmail.com
    MOB:- 00353 87-254 3997

The full Complaint Documentation can be viewed and downloaded at:-
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_eu...it?usp=sharing

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verhofstadt View Post
    Sorry can't access youtube from where I am, what was the issue?

What was said that was untrue and by whom?
    The full Complaint Documentation can be viewed and downloaded at:-
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_eu...it?usp=sharing

I am trying to share the material in a comprehensive way. I will break down elements as comments arise.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh dear.

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Oh dear.
    Yes Love?

Can you confirm that you are not John Waters?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jaysus. What are you ACTUALLY complaining about? Who said what, and what didn't you like about it?
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Frontline no longer exists. It's sortof merged with Prime Time on Mondays at least I think.
    Real News.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast