Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should voting times and days be set into legislation?

Default Should voting times and days be set into legislation?

Following this morning's announcement by Environment Minister Phil Hogan that he was reducing the voting hours by two hours and having polling on a Wednesday in the forthcoming Meath East by-election, has the time come to set the voting day and time into legislation?

Surely it should not be at the whim of a minister to limit voting hours in order to disenfranchise groups that would be most hostile to the government? Also we need regularise the day on which we vote in order to facilitate students and others who retain their vote at home while studying or working elsewhere.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would prefer voting on Sundays and fixed terms for Goverment. With an allowance of time off for workers to cast their votes.
    War doesn't work. Give peace a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
    I would prefer voting on Sundays and fixed terms for Goverment. With an allowance of time off for workers to cast their votes.
    Are you for real? I cannot believe than anybody would need to take time off work when one considers the length of time the polling stations are open for!
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Be careful what you wish for on fixed term governments. Would we really have been best served by five years of the FF/GP government or are we likely to be well served by five years of he current shower given their collapsing approval ratings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Be careful what you wish for on fixed term governments. Would we really have been best served by five years of the FF/GP government or are we likely to be well served by five years of he current shower given their collapsing approval ratings?
    Five years? Never mentioned five years. Four at most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    Following this morning's announcement by Environment Minister Phil Hogan that he was reducing the voting hours by two hours and having polling on a Wednesday in the forthcoming Meath East by-election, has the time come to set the voting day and time into legislation?

Surely it should not be at the whim of a minister to limit voting hours in order to disenfranchise groups that would be most hostile to the government? Also we need regularise the day on which we vote in order to facilitate students and others who retain their vote at home while studying or working elsewhere.
    Yes.

It's clear that this kind of manipulation is designed to take certain groups out of the picture as much as possible for electoral/political reasons.

Polling should be at least 07:00 - 10:00 and on a Saturday. A FG TD was supposed to be bringing a bill to the Dail along those lines.... I wonder how that's going.

Voting from dawn until midnight on a Saturday would not deter either fundamentalist Jews or Christians, as there would be plenty of non-Sabbath time to vote; it would be longer than any work shift, and it should be for fixed terms, with voting shortly before school holidays begin, to encourage maximum participation.
    Here's How, Ireland's political, social and current affairs podcast; Call the show on 076 603 5060 to record your contribution for the next show.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

He must be worried.

Anyway these decisions should be removed from the hands of partisan politicians and transferred to an independent Electoral Commission. The establishment of such a commission has been the stated intention of successive govts but they haven't lifted a finger to bring it about.
    Save the 27th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    Are you for real? I cannot believe than anybody would need to take time off work when one considers the length of time the polling stations are open for!
    You're right they shouldn't, but sadly we live in the real world. I was also allowing for the chance that voting times would be shortened.

Quote Originally Posted by emulator View Post
    Yes.

It's clear that this kind of manipulation is designed to take certain groups out of the picture as much as possible for electoral/political reasons.

Polling should be at least 07:00 - 10:00 and on a Saturday. A FG TD was supposed to be bringing a bill to the Dail along those lines.... I wonder how that's going.
    I would be even less restrictive. For General, Local and Euro elections I would have voting over two days (Saturday and Sunday) as they have in Italy. Given the turnout in referendums, I would stick to voting on Saturday only.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast