Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft get a smack: 560 million fine over web browser

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Microsoft get a smack: 560 million fine over web browser

Well they can't say they weren't warned now can they? After years of discussion, negotiation and findings against them, Microsoft finally agreed in 2010 to include a choice of web browsers on their system. This made the EU happy. They left Microsoft alone.

Then Windows 7 service pack 1 came out. And Microsoft didn't include those choices. They did however report compliance with the agreement, stating that they HAD been including them. Ooops. The results:

Microsoft has been fined 561 million euros ($731m; 484m) for failing to promote a range of web browsers, rather than just Internet Explorer, to users in the European Union (EU).
    BBC News - Microsoft fined by European Commission over web browser

Almunia absolutely spanks them, giving them a half a billion fine. Good on them too, sends a nice clear message to others. Comply with your commitments or we'll fine the bejesus out of you.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm guessing this was a deliberate decision by Microsoft top brass, to demonstrate their cojones and their contempt for Europe by openly, and willingly, losing money for no good reason, simply because they want to demonstrate they can.

If the shareholders revolt and remove the executives responsible for needlessly causing this loss, I will be very surprised.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Dylan2010

I thought the Americans stoped going after him for anti trust because he started giving away so much of his money, did the EU not get their cut?

Boggle

I have a vague memory of microsoft getting fined before... Something to so with access to libraries for developers or something.

Anyone remember it or am I confusing it with something else?

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They'll be opening the petty cash box as we speak.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A mere drop in the world's ocean for Microsoft. They won't get very rattled by it.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This has probably been done on another thread, but can somebody provide a concise explanation of what Microsoft were originally doing wrong? Are they preventing people from switching browser? Or simply profiting from people not knowing how to change their default browser.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

It's a sign of the times for Microsoft. They are struggling to keep pace with Apple and Google. Windows phone is bombing. The Surface tablet is bombing. Windows 8 is bombing. In a world where tech is ever present, Msft hasn't innovated at the same pace as others. Firefox and Chrome have long been in wider use than IE. Msft, through their deployment in enterprise, have tried to force people into Explorer, rather than accommodate what people are using. They are holding on to MSOffice with a tightly clenched fist, instead of sprinkling some magic dust on it to allow people use it on iOS or Android. They have fast lessons to learn, or face going the way of RIM.
    History will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by KongMing View Post
    It's a sign of the times for Microsoft. They are struggling to keep pace with Apple and Google. Windows phone is bombing. The Surface tablet is bombing. Windows 8 is bombing. In a world where tech is ever present, Msft hasn't innovated at the same pace as others. Firefox and Chrome have long been in wider use than IE. Msft, through their deployment in enterprise, have tried to force people into Explorer, rather than accommodate what people are using. They are holding on to MSOffice with a tightly clenched fist, instead of sprinkling some magic dust on it to allow people use it on iOS or Android. They have fast lessons to learn, or face going the way of RIM.
    but but Microsoft will a monopoly for the next 100 years. You have to laugh at statist clowns that regulate just at the point when the market is moving on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and yet apple's domination and monopoly through the use of itunes and restriction of apps escapes the competition authority's attention why???????
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast