Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Brits In (they Haven't Gone Away You Know) Plantation Part Deux

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Brits In (they Haven't Gone Away You Know) Plantation Part Deux

Northern Ireland’s Army bases have escaped the latest round of closures.

However there will be a change of regiment at Palace Barracks in Holywood, Co Down as the 2nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment move to Chester next year. They will be replaced by the 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, who are currently based in Edinburgh.

The Army’s headquarters in Northern Ireland will remain at Thiepval Barracks in Lisburn. While bases at Ballykinler and Aldergrove will also continue.

Brigadier Rob Thomson, Commander 38 Irish Brigade, added: “The basing plans confirms the future in Northern Ireland for Ballykinler, Palace, Lisburn and Aldergrove and we are looking forward to welcoming the 1st Battalion The Royal Scots and their families to what will be their new home in North Down.”
    http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/hea...vive-1-4852577

Good to see this part of the UK maintaining it's historic links with the crown forces. Coming from a garrison town with links to two famous regiments The Inniskillings Museum and the Regimental Association of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and having relatives that served in them over a few generations (Somme,Normandy,Korea and Afghanistan) I am obviously more favorably inclined towards the BA than some of our posters!
    Of course setting aside any political affiliations I am sure all will welcome the securing of ancillary jobs and the maintaining of finical inputs (wages etc etc) to the local economy. Finally it's reassuring to see the Scots 'invading' Down again...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Very provocative of the Brits - their own fault if the green lads retaliate by naming another playground after a terrorist.

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good job with the title and getting all the key words in
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Global Justice View Post

Excellent news sir, won't take a lot of transportation for the rest of them when they leave soon.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Global Justice View Post
    It sounds like while 120 soldiers will lose their jobs, the number of BA soldiers based here will be cut to 2000.

All current military bases and training facilities in Northern Ireland will remain open under the plans.
    However, the number of troops based in them will be reduced to about 2,000.
    I don't know current numbers though.
    "It seems that mankind doesn't really have a passion for listening." - Jr. Gong, 2007.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ó Ghabhainn View Post
    It sounds like while 120 soldiers will lose their jobs, the number of BA soldiers based here will be cut to 2000.

I don't know current numbers though.
    My calculator says 2120...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    My calculator says 2120...
    Well done to your calculator, you don't need a new one.

I can count. What I'm getting at at is, is this reduction all job cuts are does it consist of relocations also?
    "It seems that mankind doesn't really have a passion for listening." - Jr. Gong, 2007.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That title is a cracker!
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Politics.ie Member Global Justice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeymac View Post
    Excellent news sir, won't take a lot of transportation for the rest of them when they leave soon.
    The slowly but surely decolonisation process and all round patronising and condescending attitude is Westminster's subtle way of saying "Fuk off"

Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast