Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments of Headmaster of Presentation Brothers College Cork on Drivetime

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Comments of Headmaster of Presentation Brothers College Cork on Drivetime

I was listening to the headmaster of Presentation Brothers College in Cork speaking yesterday that private education was an investment in your children, and not spending money on 'expensive holidays and the beer'. I think this was very insulting to parents who opt to send their children to non fee paying schools, and also underlines a certain snobbery that state and non-fee paying schools are populated by a bunch of crackheads and burgeoning axe killers. This is even more distressing, I imagine, to parents who live in the majority of the country where there is no choice for the provision of education other than the local community school or voluntary non fee paying school: after all there are only 8 private schools in Munster. Clearly by that rationale the parents in most of these schools are chronic alcoholics who spend most of the year browning themselves in Torremolinos.

He also described the proposal to reduce the subvention to fee paying schools, particularly for PTR, as 'anti-catholic' and 'anti-middle class'. I'm open to correction, but I was always of the view that just 5% of schools in Catholic management were fee paying, therefore there is plenty of choice in ethos in the system already. Is this comment also not an attack on middle class parents in Cork, and elsewhere, who opt to use the State or non fee paying sector? Obviously, by this rationale, they are a bunch of free wheelers with no interest in their children's future.

In regard to investment in education, wouldn't it be more prudent for parents in Cork to begin saving for their children to go to UCC or beyond, once the inevitable return of fees are fully rolled out (mooted to be completed by 2016). COuld it be that parents are being pressurised by peer and societal pressure into sending their kids to schools with a certain uniform and blazer, and not making adequate provision for their Third Level education? Would society not be fairer if kids were selected for flag ship schools, not on the basis of ability to pay, but rather talent?

What kind of education system do we have that inculcates and reinforces class prejudice. If the headmaster of a leading fee paying school can make astonishing judgments and conclusions about the motivations of parents when selecting a school, can we expect the children in his care to grow into responsible, decent citizens? Or will they grow into self centred reactionaries sneering at the folly of their neighbours free wheeling off a social welfare education and blowing what little money they have panem et circenses
    Last edited by Neilob; 6th March 2013 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilob View Post
    I was listening to the headmaster of Presentation Brothers College in Cork speaking yesterday that private education was an investment in your children, and not spending money on 'expensive holidays and the beer'. I think this was very insulting to parents who opt to send their children to non fee paying schools, and also underlines a certain snobbery that state and non-fee paying schools are populated by a bunch of crackheads and burgeoning axe killers. This is even more distressing, I imagine, to parents who live in the majority of the country where there is no choice for the provision of education other than the local community school or voluntary non fee paying school: after all there are only 8 private schools in Munster. Clearly by that rationale the parents in most of these schools are chronic alcoholics who spend most of the year browning themselves in Torremolinos.

He also described the proposal to reduce the subvention to fee paying schools, particularly for PTR, as 'anti-catholic' and 'anti-middle class'. I'm open to correction, but I was always of the view that just 5% of schools in Catholic management were fee paying, therefore there is plenty of choice in ethos in the system already. Is this comment also not an attack on middle class parents in Cork, and elsewhere, who opt to use the State or non fee paying sector? Obviously, by this rationale, they are a bunch of free wheelers with no interest in their children's future.

In regard to investment in education, wouldn't it be more prudent for parents in Cork to begin saving for their children to go to UCC or beyond, once the inevitable return of fees are fully rolled out (mooted to be completed by 2016). COuld it be that parents are being pressurised by peer and societal pressure into sending their kids to schools with a certain uniform and blazer, and not making adequate provision for their Third Level education? Would society not be fairer if kids were selected for flag ship schools, not on the basis of ability to pay, but rather talent?

What kind of education system do we have that inculcates and reinforces class prejudice. If the headmaster of a leading fee paying school can make astonishing judgments and conclusions about the motivations of parents when selecting a school, can we expect the children in his care to grow into responsible, decent citizens? Or will they grow into self centred reactionaries sneering at the folly of their neighbours free wheeling off a social welfare education and blowing what little money they have on parties.
    The question you should be asking is why are parents scrimping and saving to send their kids to fee paying schools as opposed to state schools/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    The question you should be asking is why are parents scrimping and saving to send their kids to fee paying schools as opposed to state schools/
    Obviously because they are populated by axe murderers and crackheads, but then again, maybe not........ Perhaps there is something else at play such as buying your way into the upper middle classes on the back of the Presentation Brothers vow of poverty? It'll be hard luck and you'll feel hard done by when fees at Third Level come back - definitely no Sun holiday then or trips to the pub just when you thought you had finished paying for your child's education.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

God I couldn't agree more OP. ! What gets me is the idea that those whose send their kids to fee paying schools are more interested in their child's eduction than the rest of us.
    And that the rest of us are spending our money on new cars and holidays. More bull. I have a 13 year old car,three kids in college, and no nights out.
    And the idea that those who send their kids to private schools make sacrifices is laughable. One in a hundred maybe. The people I know with kids in private schools have newish cars, holidays to Africa and New Zealand, skiing in winter, and lovely houses. Oh and second and third houses I almost forgot.
    Private schools are all about networking and connections to the "right" people, The education is no better than any state school

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well skysports is approx 1,000 per annum and cigarettes are about 2,500 per annum so all those who smoke and have a sky sports channel could theoretically choose to send a child to pres cork or some other private school.

i went to a private school and there was a mix of children of very wealthy people, middle class professionals and even the son of a vegatable stall owner. its about how people choose to spend their money.

granted, times are hard at the moment (very hard), and there is less money being spent on celtic tiger luxuries, but private schools are also accommodating children who's parents are in financial difficulty.

also, i heard on the radio that travel agents are having a bumper year this year and with the current level of demand there will be no discounted late offer packages available. make of that what you will about people's spending habits.
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bull bull bull. I'm telling you the parents of kids i know in private school don't have to choose between a holiday and school fees. They can do both!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    In Cork? I would suggest snobbery, because as a Cork person I can happily confirm that the quality of education available in most non fee-paying schools is at least as good as, in some cases better, than that available in Pres.

The headmaster's comments are patronising to say the least. The vast majority of parents don't send their kids to fee-paying schools because they are perfectly satisfied with the quality of education provided in non fee-paying schools or because they don't have the money.

Does this person really think that people who don't spend money on school fees use that money for expensive holidays or to buy alcohol instead?

His 'anti-Catholic' and 'anti-middle class' remarks are also nonsense. There are plenty of non fee-paying Catholic ethos secondary schools in Cork, including Coláiste an Spioraid Naoimh in Bishopstown, run by the Presentation Brothers. Maybe the parents of kids who go to this school are feckless alkies too?

Cork City Find Secondary Schools in Ireland by Category / County - SchoolDays.ie

The two major fee-paying schools in Cork city are Christians and Pres, both boys only. Of the two, Pres is regarded as the more socially prestigious and at least some parents, perhaps a majority, have this in mind when choosing to send their boys there.
    Last edited by sondagefaux; 6th March 2013 at 01:46 PM.
    Mark Murray.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A lot of lower middle class people are suckers when it comes to sending their kids to private schools. They genuinely believe they're doing the best for their kids, they themselves remember the perceived prestige these schools had in their day. The schools gladly take the money and forget to mention on the brochure if you're not in the old boys' network no ammount of your money is going to get your kid in to it either.

I do like the smart blazers though, again that's all part of the 'allure.'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who the hell wants to have their beautiful daughter who sings, plays piano, show jumps and has ambitions to become a doctor or lawyer sent to a scumbag school where she might be seduced and destroyed by a tracksuit and gold chain wearing tattooed scumbag, made pregnant and addicted to crack cocaine, heroin and crystal meth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neilob View Post
    Obviously because they are populated by axe murderers and crackheads, but then again, maybe not........ Perhaps there is something else at play such as buying your way into the upper middle classes on the back of the Presentation Brothers vow of poverty? It'll be hard luck and you'll feel hard done by when fees at Third Level come back - definitely no Sun holiday then or trips to the pub just when you thought you had finished paying for your child's education.
    I was sent to a fee paying school. The alternative was the local dump that offered no science subjects and where over half the leaving cert failed pass maths. On top of that the guards had to be called on several occasions because of fellas kicking the bejaysus out of each other. It is next to impossible to kick a skanger out of school in the state sector but private schools can sling them on their asses if they don't tow the line. This means discipline and higher standards. I am not saying there are no state schools with such standards but many parents have no choice. Not to mention the teachers are a law unto themselves in the state schools.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast