Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Judge tells schoolboy: choose the parent who goes to jail

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Judge tells schoolboy: choose the parent who goes to jail

According to today's Indo:

Judge tells schoolboy: choose the parent who goes to jail - Independent.ie

This seems wrong on so many levels. The child is being asked to seriously damage his relationship with one or other parent and will have to live with that.

Now I"m not unaware that this may be a nuanced decision by the judge; he may be doing this as a way of bringing home to the child that his own actions are having a direct consequence to the parents, but it also looks like the judge is derelict in his duty. It's also more than likely that the headline is designed to cast his comments in the most inflammatory way

I doubt anyone will do time on this; the judge seems to have left a door open on that option, but it cuts to the core of an issue for me: should parents pay for the sins of their children? On the face of it it seems meet and just that parents pay if their lack of parental control results in damage and cost to others, yet I don't like the change in the parent/child dynamic that could result. An utterly delinquent child could effectively control his or her parents by threatening criminal acts.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Des,

This was the last straw, if you read the article the school tried engaging with the parents for ages but they are unwilling or unable to do their duty as parents.

It will bring it home to the child, just exactly how serious this is. Personally, I'd jail the father for having to have a bench warrant issued against him, but that's just me.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paddyc View Post
    Personally, I'd jail the father for having to have a bench warrant issued against him, but that's just me.
    Snap!
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A bit much to make the 'child' choose. The article states that both the child and the father have failed to follow court instructions, the father failed to turn up and the child disobeyed a court instruction.

I think the father should be sent to prison.

Sadly I know of a lot of families like this.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    According to today's Indo:

Judge tells schoolboy: choose the parent who goes to jail - Independent.ie

This seems wrong on so many levels. The child is being asked to seriously damage his relationship with one or other parent and will have to live with that.

Now I"m not unaware that this may be a nuanced decision by the judge; he may be doing this as a way of bringing home to the child that his own actions are having a direct consequence to the parents, but it also looks like the judge is derelict in his duty. It's also more than likely that the headline is designed to cast his comments in the most inflammatory way

I doubt anyone will do time on this; the judge seems to have left a door open on that option, but it cuts to the core of an issue for me: should parents pay for the sins of their children? On the face of it it seems meet and just that parents pay if their lack of parental control results in damage and cost to others, yet I don't like the change in the parent/child dynamic that could result. An utterly delinquent child could effectively control his or her parents by threatening criminal acts.
    I do not know the full details of the case but the parents are responsible for the actions of the child so they must suffer the consequences. Obviously he has no regard for either of his parents at the moment so the judge is not damaging the relationship between this child and his parents just making the consequences of his and their actions plain for all to see.

simeongrimes

He won't have to pick a parent if he just turns up at school so the real choice is go to school or send one of your parents to jail. Might backfire of course. "Don't tell me to turn off my Play Station or I'll see you behind bars!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If the boy doesn't want to go to school at all, and from the report it seems he doesn't, the parents should exercise their constitutional right to educate him themselves or provide for his education outside of school.

The report states that he'll be eligible to go on a course to train as a mechanic when he turns 16.

If the parents can look after his education outside of school until then, there should be no problem.

I think the judge's remarks were inappropriate, even if meant to shock the boy into realising the seriousness of his failure to attend school.
    Mark Murray.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Skiver's Choice.

Politics.ie Member TiredOfBeingTired's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I expected the link to bring me to some article on a Texas or Alabama.
    But no, it's Ireland.
    We cant blame the Americans for everything.
    However, I wouldnt be surprised if this story lands on several American websites.

Sentencing is not rocket science.
    There are precedents.
    There are guidelines.
    Did judge Mitchell not wonder for two minutes why he probably never heard for this idea of letting the child choose who goes to jail? He never heard about this idea because it is a load of nonsense. It is nonsense like this that brings the courts into disrepute.
    Sometimes there is very little between historical and hysterical. One passes for the other. In time, the former remains forever, the latter is quickly replaced...

Dylan2010

so if he is forced to go to school, is he under an obligation to learn anything or take exams? I am sure there are hundreds if not more kids who are completely disengaged from the education system. Sitting in a square building being bored is not an eductaion, even if it ticks some boxes for the dept.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast