Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions for the media on their failure during the Celtic tiger period

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Questions for the media on their failure during the Celtic tiger period

Why did the prevailing narrative in the newspapers and TV current affairs of the Celtic tiger period miss one of the biggest stories since independence i.e. the bankrupting of the country by the decisions of some of its most powerful citizens?

In fact the prevailing narrative in the newspapers and TV current affairs of the Celtic tiger period seemed to be one of satisfaction with the status quo.

Most of the media seemed to be happy that one political group was going to be in power ad infinitum.

There did not seem to be any concern in the media that an ordinary semi-detached somewhere in suburbia was selling for more than a chateau in a salubrious part of France.

The findings of tribunals cast a non-flattering light on the doings of the great and the good. Despite that back then much of the media were conducting a campaign against the mere existence of tribunals.

Have any lessons been learned or are we destined to repeat the mistakes?

Boggle

They will do it all over again with the next fad that drives their advertising revenue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

When you have headlines like this: House prices 'could fall another 20%' - The Irish Times - Tue, Jan 08, 2013
    It shows nothing has been learned.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You mean you had faith in the Irish media?
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Those "Mistakes" are repeated in the Sindo ad nauesem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes yes, the media, the government, the banks...but what about the people? Seeing a cou0le loading a hot tube on top of their Megane outside Woodies in Cork summed up the whole thing to me. The people were loving it. Borrowing money like no tomorrow and now everyones complaining that no one stopped them?

Ireland's biggest problem is our refusal to face reality and the constant search for scapegoats. And the lack of any social responsibility. These are cultural problems so to answer your question are we destined to repeat the same mistakes, then definitely YES.
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    Yes yes, the media, the government, the banks...but what about the people? Seeing a cou0le loading a hot tube on top of their Megane outside Woodies in Cork summed up the whole thing to me. The people were loving it. Borrowing money like no tomorrow and now everyones complaining that no one stopped them?

Ireland's biggest problem is our refusal to face reality and the constant search for scapegoats. And the lack of any social responsibility. These are cultural problems so to answer your question are we destined to repeat the same mistakes, then definitely YES.

You really hate us Irish don't you, Hate the Irish love sweeping generalisations.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Dylan2010

newspapers just reflect public opinion, why credit them with a job they dont have? Essentially a newspaper is just like the shopping channel with some news attached. I'm sure in 99 they were telling you how great tech stocks were.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    You really hate us Irish don't you
    ah go away you eejit. You saying the people didn't borrow money like no tomorrow and then complained no one stopped them? Did I mention the refusal to accept reality?
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    ah go away you eejit. You saying the people didn't borrow money like no tomorrow and then complained no one stopped them? Did I mention the refusal to accept reality?
    And so easy to wind up.

Did I mention your fondness for sweeping generalisations, so who are these people that complained that no body 'stopped' them.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast