Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: For all those who see the USA as the wonder country - read on!

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default For all those who see the USA as the wonder country - read on!

This article truly shows the reality of life for many in the US. What sickens me is that there are so many on here who want Ireland to go the same way! As a civilised society we have a duty to ensure that those who find themselves unemployed through no fault of their own - as the mother in this article did - are not left impoverished to the point the family in the article are.

Shame on America and shame on those who want us to go the same route.

Child poverty in the US has reached record levels, with almost 17 million children now affected. A growing number are also going hungry on a daily basis.Food is never far from the thoughts of 10-year-old Kaylie Haywood and her older brother Tyler, 12.
    At a food bank in Stockton, Iowa, they are arguing with their mother over the 15 items they are allowed to take with them. There is little money to go shopping for extras.
    Apple sauce is in, canned vegetables, tinned spaghetti, meatballs and ravioli might be.
    Kaylie wants a decent education, so that she will not go hungry in future
    But when Kaylie asks for ground beef, she is overruled as their motel room does not have a fridge to keep things fresh - just a sink filled with crushed ice. There's nowhere to cook, either.
    It's not the first time that the family has struggled to get hold of the food they would like - or enough of it.
    "We don't get three meals a day like breakfast, lunch and then dinner," says Kaylie. "When I feel hungry I feel sad and droopy."
    BBC News - The children going hungry in America
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nobody here wants to go the same way as the USA, but there is a lot of room in the middle from where we are.

All people want here is to get the freeloaders out of the system so that they system can take care of those who really need it.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where is former Ponzi Democrat leader, Sumo these days ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's a middle ground between impoverishing people who are unemployed through no fault of their own, and offering an incentive to those who can work to make them work.

I was in a city centre pub last friday at 3pm (day off) for a pint before an early dinner.

There was approx 12-15 males in there, drinking and watching the racing. By 4pm, when I left, one of them was singing 'take me up to Monto'.

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the number living in Ireland was as near the number in the US [you know what I mean so dont get smart] I think you would find we would be as bad or worse than that already.
    Their are just too many needing looking after over their. That is the problem.
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    I was in a city centre pub last friday at 3pm (day off) for a pint before an early dinner.

There was approx 12-15 males in there, drinking and watching the racing. By 4pm, when I left, one of them was singing 'take me up to Monto'.
    Like you they could have been on a day off. You cannot generalise in that way.

We have no-one to blame but ourselves for allowing a situation whereby those who refuse to take paid work still get benefits. The answer is possibly to carry out a review of all those who have never worked and then call them all in for interviews to explain why they haven't. In the event of no shows, the benefits are ended immediately.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu View Post

We have no-one to blame but ourselves for allowing a situation whereby those who refuse to take paid work still get benefits. The answer is possibly to carry out a review of all those who have never worked and then call them all in for interviews to explain why they haven't. In the event of no shows, the benefits are ended immediately.
    I've seen lot of comments and anecdotes regarding this issue.

Apart from people assuming other people are unemployed and not simply on a day off too, there are people who will refuse to accept there aren't enought jobs out there. Added to this you will always get a number of people unemployed as we had even in the so-callod "boom", for what ever reason.

I have a solution for the Government that will please many in Ireland and on here....

Cut social welfare.... pick a number or percentage and cut it. Sit back, and see what happens....

With regard to the OP....

But for many charities and parents who are prepared to go hungry themselves before their children, this Country is heading the exact same way.

Social Welfare is a lot less in the US and you have limited time on it.... is that the model the OP and others here want to bring in in Ireland ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I doubt that somehow Aindriu.

Its a coincidence they had a day off, and so did all their mates too. I mean, they all knew each other. Like they were regulars, or something.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It appears the American stock market is starting to recover.

Five and a half years after the start of a frightening drop that erased $11 trillion from stock portfolios and made investors despair of ever getting their money back, the Dow Jones industrial average has regained all the losses suffered during the Great Recession and reached a new high. The blue-chip index rose 125.95 points Tuesday and closed at 14,253.77, topping the previous record of 14,164.53 on Oct. 9, 2007, by 89.24 points.
    "It signals that things are getting back to normal," says Nicolas Colas, chief market strategist at ConvergEx Group, a brokerage. "Unemployment is too high, economic growth too sluggish, but stocks are anticipating improvement."
    The record suggests that investors who did not panic and sell their stocks in the 2008-2009 financial crisis have fully recovered. Those who have reinvested dividends or added to their holdings have done even better. Since bottoming at 6,547.05 on March 9, 2009, the Dow has risen 7,706.72 points or 118 percent.
    http://www.southernminn.com/faribaul...8192e66b7.html

Hopefully this kick starts investment, the American domestic economy gets going again and people like these can get jobs and escape poverty.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exactly. Why would anyone work minimum wage in a dead end job when you can sit around scratching yourself and get paid virtually the same (when travel costs are taken into account). It would be better to automatically cut benefits after a period of time, like a year, rather than doing interviews though. Leaving it to a person decide, especially when that person has no motiviation to cut anyone's benefits, would only lead to favouritism and unfairness where it depends on which interviewer you happen to get, and the mood they are in on the day.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast