Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anonymous donor offers to pay for surgery for 6 year old. Beaumont Hospital says No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Anonymous donor offers to pay for surgery for 6 year old. Beaumont Hospital says No.

This is a strange decision:

Apparently, because of internal disagreement between Beaumont and the HSE, a child's surgery cannot go ahead.
    Instead, the child must now travel to the UK for the surgery, which will entail a six week period of hospitalisation.

Boy directed to UK clinic for hearing surgery despite anonymous
    "In a letter from Beaumont Hospital, seen by the Irish Independent, the family was told the precedent was unacceptable."

If the offer of funding is genuine and all above board then in my opinion the child, his family and the donor deserve a more thorough explanation from the hospital.
    Last edited by bagel; 6th March 2013 at 11:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But Enda said that things were getting better. If I were in that family, I would start with a Court challenge and then a protest out side the Dail, and if all that failed.........

Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happytuesdays View Post
    Jesus Christ!
    This family are getting the operation. Who gives a ************************ if it is in Beaumont or in England.
    A bit of gratitude wouldn't go amiss.
    It's not that simple........read the article

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish bureaucracy at its best!
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    It's not that simple........read the article
    I read it. 6 weeks in the UK; so what? Occasional trips back to the UK. Again so what?
    The mother points out that there would be a marked financial impact on her family; perhaps the anonymous donor would cover the cost of travel.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thats shocking. We are meant to be one of the most developed nations in the world yet we still have to send countless of our sick overseas to get the treatment they deserve but yet we cannot provide.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichardDeClare View Post
    Thats shocking. We are meant to be one of the most developed nations in the world yet we still have to send countless of our sick overseas to get the treatment they deserve but yet we cannot provide.
    We are a small country with a small set of patients and of doctors.
    Beaumount is not a paediatric hospital.

This woman does not want to be inconvenienced by having to travel with her son.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happytuesdays View Post
    I read it. 6 weeks in the UK; so what? Occasional trips back to the UK. Again so what?
    The mother points out that there would be a marked financial impact on her family; perhaps the anonymous donor would cover the cost of travel.
    .......and perhaps he won't. That is a VERY big assumption to make. It's not just the six weeks. There is the whole after care as well. You're some tool

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    .......and perhaps he won't. That is a VERY big assumption to make. It's not just the six weeks. There is the whole after care as well. You're some tool
    Maybe the place in the UK is better at paediatric cochlear implants than Beaumount. My attitude may seem ************************ish and it probably is - but the family are not being denied treatment and the inconvenience to them is not significant.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not surprised Beaumont are refusing to countenance this. You can't simply have a situation where a public hospital reverses a decision on a public patient because some anonymous donor waves a bag of cash around. What kind of message is that sending? I'm sure the donor is well intentioned but even in this country there has to be some kind of policy about these things.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast