Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TUI wants future unfunded schools to use state employed teachers? is he tripping?

Dylan2010

Default TUI wants future unfunded schools to use state employed teachers? is he tripping?

On RTE this morning, without a smirk he (mcGowan?) suggested that private schools should still use state employed teachers and refund the department. What is he smoking? surely the now completely private schools should get their teachers from where ever they want or employ them on 1 or 2 year short term contracts. It would seem illogical that private schools would be forced to use essentially civil servants. Aircoach doesnt have to use CIE workers.
    Why does he think he can have his cake and eat it?

NOTE: Please dont rehash the general arguments over the funding of private schools, its been done to death and it will be boring. I am raising a specific issue. But feel free to discuss how private schools would operate in such an environment

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another thread about "private" schools where the OP uses the word "private" to mean fee paying, without recognising the model of ownership which is common in this country.

Zoo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I agree that private schools should employ their own teachers, though I favour all schools being private. The TUI just want to protect their powerbase in the public sector from encroachment through the growth of the private sector.
    Real News.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    Another thread about "private" schools where the OP uses the word "private" to mean fee paying, without recognising the model of ownership which is common in this country.

Zoo.
    dont be pedantic, I'm not writing a computer program, everyone knows what I mean

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    I agree that private schools should employ their own teachers, though I favour all schools being private. The TUI just want to protect their powerbase in the public sector from encroachment through the growth of the private sector.
    Are you using Dylan-speak when you use the word "private" to actually mean fee paying? (Or do you actually think the state owns most schools in the country? Or that the salaries of teachers in fee-paying schools is not currently paid for by the state at the same level as those in non-fee paying schools?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I haven't heard the interview, but if it's as reported here then he is indeed on a different planet. There's no reason on earth any organisation should tie themselves down to restrictive staffing arrangements if there's a glut of qualified staff out there who don't require such arrangements.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Dylan2010

sure, but the lobby loving RTE didnt ask him the question so I am left wondering what these schools would do to save money if they had their funding pulled. Could they off load some staff back to state funded schools? could they get maths and science teachers from India, would they simply go to a staff model of using contract staff for 1 or 2 years and thus avoid increments and onerous pensions burden?

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    Are you using Dylan-speak when you use the word "private" to actually mean fee paying? (Or do you actually think the state owns most schools in the country? Or that the salaries of teachers in fee-paying schools is not currently paid for by the state at the same level as those in non-fee paying schools?)
    again stop being pedantic. In conversation in Ireland it is as likely to refer to Blackrock college as a private or fee paying school. You would be a right bore if you went around correcting everyone

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is there any country that has private schools only?
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    On RTE this morning, without a smirk he (mcGowan?) suggested that private schools should still use state employed teachers and refund the department. What is he smoking? surely the now completely private schools should get their teachers from where ever they want or employ them on 1 or 2 year short term contracts. It would seem illogical that private schools would be forced to use essentially civil servants. Aircoach doesnt have to use CIE workers.
    Why does he think he can have his cake and eat it?

NOTE: Please dont rehash the general arguments over the funding of private schools, its been done to death and it will be boring. I am raising a specific issue. But feel free to discuss how private schools would operate in such an environment
    Indeed. While I agreed with a lot of what the man had to say; that nearly made me choke.

I also resented his use of the term 'free' education to refer to the state sector. It's not free pal. I and millions other citizens pay a lot of taxes for that school system. I honestly believe these morons have long forgotten the purpose of taxation.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast